Slightly OT - nice roads in Yorkshire

Can anyone recommend any good driving roads around West/North West Yorkshire? My job is moving to Leeds, so I'm going to move to Hebden Bridge in Feb..

Cheers Mike

Reply to
Mike P

See if you can find Paul Halliday's email address in alt.autos.saab

He lives in Huddersfield and might know some pleasant drives there abouts. Tell him Carl (the Skoda and Saab nut) says hello and asks how Orca is doing.

Reply to
Elder

One word for a Hebden Bridge Leeds car commute : Victim.

Still, good place for riding a bike, and the train looks like it might be quite sensible.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Scarborough to Whitby road. And anything around the area. Stamford bridge to Bridlington can be a laugh - and take you past the Wetwang Chippy - Tim, explain...

Anyone fancy a meet there soon?

Reply to
Iridium

Is he a teacher? I had a teacher called Halliday in huddersfield...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Thomsons Traditional Fish and Chips. Also open in Brandesburton, and York.

I'm /always/ up for a meet, especially in Wetwang, even in the elche-wagen. It's you that's always busy, out, washing hair, skint, broken down, in hospital, out, at uni, working or riding your bike.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Hey, I'm never working... Usually in hospital though heh.

Reply to
Iridium

Not sure. Had a punto sporting and several Saabs over the last few years.

He posts regularly, so you could pop in and ask him.

Reply to
Elder

I presume you'll get the train to work as commuting in the car at normalish times would take ages? It's a nice place though.

As for roads the A6033 towards Oxenhope is quite good fun, some nice bends but generally decent visibility. The pub at the top does a nice pint too. Tod to Bacup has some good sections up the hill with nice tight bends. Some people like the Mytholmroyd to Blackstone Edge road but I'm not a fan as a lot of the edges are crumbling and people tend to drive down the middle. The Slack to Nelson road is good but narrow (some single track) with very little overtaking opportunities but great fun when it's quiet. Heptonstall to Mereclough is also nice.

Slightly further away is my favourite roads (I used to live in Rochdale) J22 of the M62 down to Ripponden and then over the hill to Littleborough.

Reply to
James Grabowski

Long causeway from Heb to Burnley past the wind turbines is pretty decent, as is the back road over from Slack (just outside Heb) over to Harle Syke. Get north of Skipton and there are some fantastic roads: Gargrave-Malham, past Malham Tarn-Halton Gill-Arncliffe-Grassington-Skipton is good, apart from the odd tourist.

One of my absolute favourite sets of roads anywhere, ever is Ingleton-Hawes, then over the Buttertubs to Thwaite[1], across to Sedburgh then over the top to Dent and then back-road to Ingleton [2]for well earned sossegg'n'chips at the superb inglesport cafe. That is a couple of hours well spent :-D

[1] Turns out that this is the road Clarkson used on his testdrive of the Escort cosworth, and EVO mag use quite frequently. [2] Single track road, gates and sheep everywhere. Also a cool waterfall next to the road after dent is worth stopping at.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

I know the Tod to Bacup road very well as I'm originally from Waterfoot, between Bacup and Rawtenstall :-) They've spoilt it since they put a speed limit on it though :-)

Reply to
Mike P

Fortunately office is not in Leeds centre, it's just off J27(?) (Gildersome?) of the M62, so I'll drive. One of the guys up there lives in Mytholmroyd and reckons it takes him about 35 mins to drive in so it's not too much of a hassle.

Cheers Mike

Reply to
Mike P

Maybe somewhere... healthy? Maybe not then!

Reply to
DervMan