Galvanised chassises!

Right.. its project time again! Costing one up anyway. as.. well. I've still not cough finished cough the last one just yet. :-S The thing is, I'm thinking about galvanising my project chassis. Can anybody recommend any companies who will do this? Preferably in North West England, but will travel. How much is this likely to cost for a good job and what sort of preparation do I need to do? I've rung around a load of companies just local to me but with no luck... think I need to look further afield! Thanks! Toby

Reply to
TVS

In message , TVS writes

I've no idea whether they are still there or would do this sort of job, but Bunner Galvanising in Liverpool hot-dipped a lot of the metalwork for my boat.

20 years of salt spray, and still perfect. For the small stuff you waited till they had a bigger job going through.

Their claim to fame was the hot-dipped Fiat 500.

When I read of galvanised chassis, are these normally hot-dipped or one of the lesser types of galvanising?

Reply to
Bill Holt

There is Stoke Galvanising Ltd who are in Burslem at Hot Lane Industrial estate. Tel 01782 811226. They Galvanised a radio mast for a guy at work so a chassis should be no problem but a quick call should clarify.

Which one is this? As for prep, I think they dip them in acid first to clean them but could be wrong. Cost I've no idea.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Try Pillar-Wedge in Heywood. AFAIK, prep is to bead or shot blast all over to clean metal.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

If your chassis is thin gauge steel such as used for Defender then there could be a problem of some warping due to heat. Be prepared for it to emerge banana shaped from the dip.

Only kidding;-)

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Oh you'r a great help! ;) For a moment I didn't think you where joking and was about to ask about early 60's chassis but of unknown thickness! Heheh

Thanks for all the replies, the phone line will be humming tomorow :) Toby

Reply to
TVS

Crow Engineering in Auchterarder used to sell S111 galvanised chassis. regards,Mark.

Reply to
mark

Hi there

You can also try Merseyside Galvinising there based in Garston in Liverpool if you want details I can dig them up and post them for you but I know they do have a minimum charge I think its £75 but dont quote me I may be wrong.

All the best Paul

109" 21/4 ongoing project
Reply to
Paul Henry

Thanks... if you would! They would be closer for me too. Toby

Reply to
TVS