Spoiler (again)

Swapped my rear bumper today for a better one and also trial fitted the spoiler. I'm still undecided to be honest. What do you guys think?

Before:

After:

Carl Gibbs

Fit them both but get the bumper and the spoiler colour coded to the car.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

JFDI.

Little rubber spoilers are a suitable period mod. for 80s motors.

Reply to
SteveH

I've seen SD1s with that done, but I think they look better in black. Much more 80s ;)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

You're probably right. The Vitesse one looks cool, but maybe that'll trying to make my car something it's not.

Carl Gibbs

Shit. Sorry :-(

I thought you might be getting one of the vitesse spoilers (eg

), which would be ok, but that one's just a bit half-hearted. cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Do you think you could find a smaller picture? ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Ooooops, wrong one :)

Carl Gibbs

Yeah, that's a bit OTT.

The one you have looks just right, IMHO.

Reply to
SteveH

Ooo I like that one best get that one :-p

Reply to
Iridium

Are you sure you have put the spoiler on correcty (not upside down?)?

A spoiler needs to spoil: it must have an upward lip.

The way yours is on the car, it won't do anything, maybe even cause instability (thought it is a somewhat unlikely you get it to the needed speed for that).

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

I had the same thought, but it definately doesn't fit the other way. TBH I'm still not convinced it'll fit properly anyway as the ends don't seem to follow the profile of the boot very well. The guy I bought it from says it for an SD1 though. It's made by Richard Grant, but I can't seem to find any reference any where on the net about it.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I'm with you. As the owner of a Vitesse with a 'proper' spoiler I don't think the one Carl has looks nice at all. In fact I think it looks awful. I think it should either have a Vitesse type spoiler or none at all, but then it's not my car. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

After going out and having another test fitting and looking a bit closer I don't think I'm going to put it on. From the back it looks ok, but the side profile looks silly as it's at completely the wrong angle. I'm no longer convinced it's even for an SD1.

Apparently the Vitesse spoiler can give an 11% improvement in fuel economy at motorway speeds, as well as lookly immensly cool (in an 80s way) so I think I'm going to look out for one of them instead. Screw the fact my car is only an SE!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

What he said :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

See other post. I'm in agreement with you on this one :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

How does that work then ?

Surely a spoiler, by it's very design, is going to cause extra drag* - something which is hardly beneficial to economy....

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Apparently it reduces the coefficient of drag of the car. Don't ask me, I'm not expert of aerodynamics, but this is what a guy discovered after trialling it on his SD1 over the same bit of road over a 5 year period!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Ah. Say no more :)

On the subject of mildly interesting improvements to fuel economy, there was a thing in Auto Express the other week whereby they tested a claim that modern cars were around 10 to 15% more economical on petrol if you used the throttle as an on/off switch and booted it everywhere.

Apparently it works if you keep it below 2,000 revs. I'm still trialling it in the Scooby up to higher revs just in case though :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Hmm, the BigT has done just over 100kilometers on quarter of a tank this week. Mainly hauling bags of rubble to the tip and picking up maxibags of sand/cement from B&Q all local. Not bad really. Other than that I have been getting 13L/100KM from it. So I can accept that.

Reply to
Elder