Stolen car report. Don't panic, not mine.

It's a good question. I've er, heard of a friend who has not been hassled doing

90 on motorways where there is reason to believe passive sensors / plain clothes cars would have clocked this speed repeatedly.

Like, the situation when er, he creeps over 90 tend to be the ones where he has, in the past, been pulled over and told off. Like as if the police don't really care about 90 on the motorway when it is clear and in good weather.

I'm well aware of cameras and the variable zone on the M25 not generally being considerate of the conditions / danger to others, i.e. he would be snapped doing maybe 37 on a 30 zone camera, or doing 55 under a 40 gantry, but he speeds on the motorway and not about town. IYSWIM.

Anyone been stopped by the police recently for this sort of speed and fined, when the weather was ok, the motorway was clear, etc? It would be nice to find out if the unofficial policy has unofficial new numbers in it, before picking up a speeding fine.

Reply to
antispam

There is no 'maximum speed'. If the coppers wants to pull you he will, be it 5mph over or 50mph over. it just depends what mood there in - I was pulled last year for doing 30 on a 30 road tho, the copper told me I was doing 40 even tho I knew damn well he was behind so was doing 30.

It helps if you're doing 50mph over the limit and going in the other direction btw, as he won't be able to catch up :)

The speed limit is 70mph. 84 is a good way over that, there's not really any excuse for complaining about it.

Reply to
Lordy

Also, this is 84 mph true speed, and averaged over a distance in what I would guess is a straight line rather than following the road. Chances are, the speedometer was reading somewhat higher than 84 over most of the distance covered.

But in any case, 80 or above is legally speeding, you can't really get to that speed without it being deliberate or careless. This is really a question of what speed is enforced, e.g. cameras by schools in 30 zones are generally set to snap at 36.

Reply to
antispam