Ping Bill S. - Green Eggs report

Bill,

Have you seen this and is this legal? I personally don't like it. Here's what this system took from ramfm...

Jimmy

Reply to
Jimmy

Looks like just a list of links that were posted in the newsgroup. Seems to be some sort of automated system for all newsgroups.

I don't see how it could be a problem, nor considering that it grabs URLs posted in a dumb fashion particularly useful other than in finding a URL that one kinda remembers being posted.

Reply to
Brent P

"Jimmy" wrote in a message:

Jim: If you go to that site and hold your mouse over any one of those links, you will see that those links were more than likely harvested from RAMFM with some sort of software and automatically put into the html file. If you look at the address in the link, it has appended his/her information with an id # which leads me to beleive he/she is getting paid, or getting some sort of credit, when someone visits that page and clicks on any one of those links. This, I beleive is illegal, due to most of them are personal websites. I might forward the link to a friend of mine that just happens to be a copyright attorney, and see what he says.

Gary Brosius Drag Racers go straight to the finish line. The other guys drive in circles looking for it.

Reply to
GEB

It's really funny but the majority of those links were never posted to the RAMFM. Must be a glitch in their archiving software. As for legal, the harvesting of links is not illegal to the best of my knowledge. To be honest with you, I've never looked in to it.

Bill S.

Jimmy wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

I wouldn't even bother looking into it. What's the big deal with it? It's just links. So anyway... how's life, Bill? Jerkoff stop threatening you yet?

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

memset wrote in a message:

It may be illegal if the person is getting paid for everyone that clicks on the links. I sent an email to my friend to see if it is actually legal or not. I think it is ok if that is all they are, is links, but as soon as they get paid for every click through from that site, it might become illegal. I'll know for sure as soon as I hear from my friend, who just happens to be a copyright/trademark attorney.

Gary Drag Racers go straight to the finish line. The other guys drive in circles looking for it.

Reply to
GEB

Who would be paying him? Anyway all it appears to do is go through a logger or counter on his own site for his own info.

Reply to
Brent P

Hey Mike,

Life is good, family is healthy.....The commercial realty business is off a bit this month, but with everything else in life, we plan for it when we can. Just came back from a trip to West Palm Beach (actually Lake Worth) found out that I should not have rented a Mustang convertible, as my large piece of luggage would not fit in the trunk. Had to put the top down and throw it in the backseat...Good thing it was not raining............Back down there on business in a few weeks, looks like Jacksonville, then Miami, then back up to Daytona with some clients. Perhaps I'll get a T-bird this time, unless I'll be doing the majority of the driving for our group, then it's an Expedition..Got to love my Ford discounts through Hertz............How are thing in your neck of the woods?????

Yours In Traveling Fords,

Bill S.

snipped-for-privacy@recorddeal.com wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

Good to hear that everything's alright. Hehehe yeah Mustangs aren't exactly known for being spacious =). Things are so-so on my end. My 98 GT's clutch is messing with me... sometimes it feels incredibly light.. other times it feels incredibly stiff (I like it like this).. other than that I can't really complain. Job is going well, money is pretty tight, but I'm surviving. Girlfriend is doing good. College is still easy. Haven't exactly gotten to go to anywhere remotely close to West Palm Beach or anything, but hey.. =). How was that? Enjoyable at the least I hope! I could use a break from work... *sigh*. Oh well ;D. Being a web-developer & system administrator isn't all that bad... has it's ups & downs. Good talkin w/ ya. Take care.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

snikker giggle....

| > Life is good, family is healthy.....The commercial realty business | > is off a bit this month, but with everything else in life, we plan for | > it when we can. Just came back from a trip to West Palm Beach (actually | > Lake Worth) found out that I should not have rented a Mustang | > convertible, as my large piece of luggage would not fit in the trunk. | > Had to put the top down and throw it in the backseat...Good thing it was | > not raining............Back down there on business in a few weeks, looks | > like Jacksonville, then Miami, then back up to Daytona with some | > clients. Perhaps I'll get a T-bird this time, unless I'll be doing the | > majority of the driving for our group, then it's an Expedition..Got to | > love my Ford discounts through Hertz............How are thing in your | > neck of the woods????? | >

| > Yours In Traveling Fords, | >

| > Bill S. | >

| > snipped-for-privacy@recorddeal.com wrote: | > > I wouldn't even bother looking into it. What's the big deal with it? | It's | > > just links. So anyway... how's life, Bill? Jerkoff stop threatening you | yet? | > >

| > > -Mike | > >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Lake Worth was good, mixed a little business with pleasure, as we have a small shopping center I am in charge of there. The family had a good time, a nice diversion from the day to day life that is for certain.......Saw a nice ERA 427 SC Cobra while I was down there in Delray beach, the same owner had his and hers matching 2000 Detomaso Mangustas in his garage as their other weekend toy(s)....Still undecided if I'll buy the ERA or not, as it is a very early (chassis # 180) build, and the doeskin interior needs to be redone......It's not going anywhere anytime soon, so we'll see what happens next month when I'm back down in the state.....As for being the sys admin, yes, I know how you feel.....To say "been there, done that" in my youth would be an understatement..............Liked it better as a contracts administrator....Far less "after hours" work...................

Enjoy,

Bill S.

snipped-for-privacy@recorddeal.com wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

"Brent P" wrote in a message:

No one. All I did was sent him an email with a link of mine that turned up on the page, and the address that it is passed to. If it indeed goes to a counter, then that person is doing the same thing that Christian is accused of. Inflating his visitor count. If that is all that the link is doing, If you look at each one of those links, everytime you click on one of those links it gets added to his counter. I wouldn't doubt there is hidden code that when we go to that page that, that visit gets counted as well.

Gary Drag Racers go straight to the finish line. The other guys drive in circles looking for it.

Reply to
GEB

And I noticed that my web site is NOT listed and I know I have posted it before. Also the site that Mike did about Ripoff Motor Sports was not in there.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Hope you're not talking about ME when you say "Mike". I didn't create any motorsports page.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

I knew someone would say something about that after I clicked send... shoulda known it woulda been you, Kate =). Nobody else here has your wit ;D

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

HEY! You're pickin on me again!

| > snikker giggle.... | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

I told them it was you... what the hell... someone has to take the blame, you're young, strong shoulders.. buck up m'boy!

| > > It's really funny but the majority of those links were never posted to | > > the RAMFM. | >

| > And I noticed that my web site is NOT listed and I know I have | > posted it before. Also the site that Mike did about Ripoff Motor | > Sports was not in there. | >

| > -- | > Check out the gmaing & computer forums at the [SS] clan site. | >

| > This post should NOT be included at horsepowered.com it is meant to | > be the Usenet group rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang ONLY. This posting | > was originated on RAMFM and is not intended nor authorized for use on | > any other web site such horsepowered.com. Therefore it shold not be | > seen as an endorsement of their products and services. | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Ahem.. and _I_ am picking on YOU ? ;D

Reply to
<memset

pfffft ;D

Expedition..Got

Reply to
<memset

It's always the boy's fault! Just ask my daddy!