MOT Questions?

  1. Is front fogs part of MOT?
  2. Must red rear fog light also work when headlights are not turned on?
Reply to
johannes

Nope

Duncan Wood

no and no

Reply to
Mrcheerful

johannes gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

No

No

Reply to
Adrian

Are you sure, my car failed MOT because of 2! But it has always been that way and passed all previous MOT, so I'm surprised. Do I have to rewire the connection; I would have though that you would naturally turn on the headlights in foggy conditions anyway.

Reply to
johannes

ask for a form vt17 and follow the instructions.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

johannes gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Your tester was a cretin.

The light is _permitted_ to work without the lights being on, but it _must_ be tested with dip beam and ignition on.

Reply to
Adrian

Ok I will see what happens next week. Maybe they just forgot to turn on the headlights? There were some minor issues which I have now fixed.

Reply to
johannes

section 1.1.3

Note: A rear fog lamp is permitted to operate independently of headlamp, position lamp or ignition systems

Not required to. Also you're supposed to have turned the ignition on & the headlamps on to check the tellatle works,

Reply to
Duncan Wood

It is interesting that this is allowed; I can't see the purpose of this other than annoying motorists behind you, e.g. tailgaiting. But that is not part of orderly driving.

Perhaps the tester has become used to this system and didn't realise the requirement to turn on headlights before testing the rear fog.

Reply to
johannes

johannes gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I don't think I've ever come across a car where the rear fogs work without the lights being on. As you say, it's pointless.

Reply to
Adrian
[...]

Not if you are also using front foglights.

It kind of defeats the object of them.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Chris Whelan gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Which usually also require lights to be switched on.

Thick fog may well bounce back off dip, as anything north of mist does off main beam. But sidelights...

Reply to
Adrian

Well, all the ones I've fitted rear foglights to, for a start!

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Sidelights (position lights) are 4W only. I never use them, so I didn't notice that one of them was gone.

Reply to
johannes

If the red rear fog light is switched on, does it need to be indicated somewhere on the fascia that it is switched on?

When I depress the switch on the fascia, the rear fog light goes on OK, but the switch is not illuminated as this is not working. Is this a MOT failure?

Reply to
johannes

Yes

Either the switch or the bulb in the dash, what's the vehicle?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

SAAB 9000

Reply to
johannes

SAAB 9000. The light comes on when I press the switch down, but doesn't stay on.

Reply to
johannes

johannes gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Yes.

Adrian