Thank you and goodnight.

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 14:33:20 +0800, Fraser Johnston ranted:

Going back to this time 2008, since then I've owned

Golf MK2 GTi Golf MK2 1.8 Petrol (E-reg) Xantia 1.8i Petrol Jeep Cherokee on gas Xantia 1.9TD Estate Mazda MX-5 (went in a ditch) Mazda MX-5 (didn't go in a ditch) Ford Puma Citroen Xsara 1.9TD BMW 520SE (E34) Peugeot 306 N/A diesel Skoda Felicia Estate Xantia Activa Xantia HDi

Reply to
Mike P

Your mother smells of elderberries.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Not a bad list. I was buying broken bikes at auction then repairing them and punting them on. I don't think I have ever made money on a car. Currently looking around for my next one though. I am almost 100% convinced it will be a Subaru Liberty (Legacy) GT wagon in auto. Comfy, less boy racer than a wrx even though it has the same engine and driveline, practical, good on fuel and reliable as the day is long.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Really?? Or is this in comparison to a supercharged 6.0 V8 thing?

ISTR that Lordy, once of this parish, had one in his post-Ti days and generally liked it bar some issues with flat-spots and it's tremendous thirst when provoked.

Aye, well, sounds like a good choice. Except for the bit where you live in a country which lets you (afford to) drive 6.0 V8 things...

Reply to
AlbertTCone

Yup, monstrously thirsty things in my experience (I had two), 16mpg in general driving, single digits in 'fun' driving. The boxer engine has never been known for being good on fuel in any variant (turbo or NA). Oh, and the flat spot was 'The Valley of Death' - when the valve for the second turbo opens (using the same pipework as for the first), causing the pressure to drop (or some such).

But I'd have another in an instant, unfortunately I commute a bit more these days so it's just not currently practical. I had to find something that was a reasonable compromise between MPG and BHP. Bet you can't guess...

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Oh; and still here btw :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

To tell the truth the 6.0 V8 things are a bit shit. Poorly built and handle like a pig on rollerskates. If you like a car where the glovebox drops open every time you hit a speedbump they are ok. Just. Economy on my Liberty is pretty good. 11 litres per 100kms in general driving. 13 if I cane it and 8 or 9 on a country run at our ridiculous 110km/h national speed limit. Of course fuel here is probably 2/3 or what you are paying there. LPG is even cheaper.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

I've read about this flat spot everywhere but am yet to experience it. I bought my car modded so it is running 18 pounds of boost and is not really stock so maybe whoever owned it before me tuned it out.

I've heard similar things about the VTEC on the VFR800 but find it not to be a problem at all. You are either pootling around under the revs where the cams come on or you are revving straight through that vtec band and then keeping the revs up.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

530d.
Reply to
Douglas Payne

Seeing as Dougy has bagsied the 530d, I'll go with a Maestro turboD.

Reply to
AlbertTCone

I can afford blu-tack, and I reckon I could forgive something with a large capacity V8 quite a lot.

Right. If I'm doing my sums correctly, that's 21mpg for normal driving. That's more what I might describe as very bloody thirsty. Different strokes in upsidedownia, I guess. I wonder how much of the 30% price differential is eaten up by the fact that everything is miles from everything else? There is no jealousy here. no sirree.

Reply to
AlbertTCone

Slightly more desirable than a 530d (in my eyes, at least), but no :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Citroen C1.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Panda 4x4?

Reply to
AlbertTCone

Fuel is cheaper but we do tend to cover much bigger distances. Last holiday we went on was to Exmouth from Perth. 17 hours driving. It's in the same state.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Well I've had the Is200 for nearly 2 years and haven't got bored with it once despite the car being probably the most boring one I've had. It is time for a change soon though. Fuel prices, growing miles, revvy 2 litre engine, and driving to see my fiancée every weekend is taking its toll. Starting my own business to get off the Dole means im going to need a big roomy mile munching equally bombproof diesel that will run on anything I pour into it.

Reply to
TheElderUK

VW Touareg V10 TDI

Reply to
fishman

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 12:23:33 +0100, TheElderUK ranted:

I think you're going to be in s**te old Diesel territory if you want something that will run on anything these days. I gave up on that idea - if you want SVO, it's almost as dear as diesel, and the ballache of collecting and making your own just didn't appeal to me. My Xantia HDi gets between 55 and 60mpg. It's not particularly exciting, but with the

184lb of torque available so low down, it can be made to get a move on.

Thank f*ck the Activa is coming home later today though...

Reply to
Mike P

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (SteveH) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

With VW or Porsche badge, of course.

Anyway, there's a handful of straight five Toerags about...

Reply to
Adrian

Not that economical, not that reliable, and with diesel a good few pence more than petrol, going to cost at least as much as an IS to run.

Other than that.... great suggestion.

The only Tuareg that makes any kind of sense at the moment is the V6 TDI.

Reply to
SteveH