Thank you and goodnight.

Oh well.
It was fun while it lasted.
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.rec.cars.modifications/about?hl=en
See you all on the social networking site of your choice.
(Through which I would not have made the contact I once did in here.)
Never mind.

One reason might well be that many ISPs don't carry newsgroups anymore. Mine stopped doing this earlier this year. Of course you can use a free one - if your ISP hasn't blocked the port - but setting this up might be beyond many in this 'wizard' world. Windows 7 seems to have made it even more difficult than OE, if that's possible. But then I'm no expert on these.
--
*Failure is not an option. It's bundled with your software.

Usenet is becominmg something of a minority thing. Shame. It's much more efficient than web forums.

I do so agree. I dislike the software most of these forums use - much more difficult to snip and quote, etc, than with my newsreader.
--
*If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

I occasionally wonder about the opposite of those things which turn usenet into web forums - something which allowed nntp access to them might work.
On 08/12/10 15:42, Clive George wrote:

I don't think there's enough interest, sadly. Mention NNTP to many people (including some techies) and you'll get a blank look.
*I'd* like it though.

Yeah usenet is dying big time. It's sad. I've spent the last 15 years on usenet and made some great friends. Catching them on facebook just isn't the same. : (
Fraser

+1.........
JB

Hey Fraser... I just joined the Subaru owning fraternity :)
Hey Fraser... I just joined the Subaru owning fraternity :) +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Welcome to the club. What did you buy? I've still got the B4 and love it to bits. Since I've had Subarus I've been really happy with them. Prior to that I used to change cars as much as PeteM.
Fraser
On 14/12/2010 06:52, Fraser Johnston wrote:

You both must be growing up, PeteM's had the same Jag for aaages.
--
Douglas

On 14/12/2010 09:18, Douglas Payne wrote:

Anybody know if Richard K has stuck with his C6? With him and Pete not changing cars every 5 minutes the people in Swansea must be getting bored...
like they were saying:

Yes, he has. But not through lack of trying to get out of the lease...

Oh, don't worry about Richard - it's not as if he's monogamous when it comes to the contents of his garage...
On 14/12/2010 11:54, Adrian wrote:

Tee hee. So it didn't turn out to be the car of his dreams?

:-)
like they were saying:

It's been the dealer's complete and utter inability to resolve niggles that's been the main problem.

Don't say that. I've had about 15 bikes in the last 3 years. : )
I think once I rediscovered bikes cars tend to bore me a bit. Even my most mental car is not a patch on a late model jap 1000cc bike.
Fraser
On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 14:33:20 +0800, Fraser Johnston ranted:

Going back to this time 2008, since then I've owned
Golf MK2 GTi Golf MK2 1.8 Petrol (E-reg) Xantia 1.8i Petrol Jeep Cherokee on gas Xantia 1.9TD Estate Mazda MX-5 (went in a ditch) Mazda MX-5 (didn't go in a ditch) Ford Puma Citroen Xsara 1.9TD BMW 520SE (E34) Peugeot 306 N/A diesel Skoda Felicia Estate Xantia Activa Xantia HDi
--
Mike P

On 26/02/11 7:37 AM, Mike P wrote:

Not a bad list. I was buying broken bikes at auction then repairing them and punting them on. I don't think I have ever made money on a car. Currently looking around for my next one though. I am almost 100% convinced it will be a Subaru Liberty (Legacy) GT wagon in auto. Comfy, less boy racer than a wrx even though it has the same engine and driveline, practical, good on fuel and reliable as the day is long.
Fraser
> Mike P's list of cars<

Really?? Or is this in comparison to a supercharged 6.0 V8 thing?
ISTR that Lordy, once of this parish, had one in his post-Ti days and generally liked it bar some issues with flat-spots and it's tremendous thirst when provoked.

Aye, well, sounds like a good choice. Except for the bit where you live in a country which lets you (afford to) drive 6.0 V8 things...

Yup, monstrously thirsty things in my experience (I had two), 16mpg in general driving, single digits in 'fun' driving. The boxer engine has never been known for being good on fuel in any variant (turbo or NA). Oh, and the flat spot was 'The Valley of Death' - when the valve for the second turbo opens (using the same pipework as for the first), causing the pressure to drop (or some such).
But I'd have another in an instant, unfortunately I commute a bit more these days so it's just not currently practical. I had to find something that was a reasonable compromise between MPG and BHP. Bet you can't guess...
--
Lordy.UK