The BX - impressions

Well due to housesitting, followed by an 'orrible illness I havent been at my PC for a while, but now I'm finally home and have done about 200 miles in the BX - mostly all motorways unfortunately.

It's been leaking LHM which is why I havent driven it much - just 2 journeys, but it certainly shifts. Engine takes a while to pick up compared to the 8v engine (as I would expect with the twin cam lump), but once it gets past 4krpm it pulls like a train. Loving it!!

Interior is lovely, nice and comfortable and the seats hold you in great. Dodgy eletrics somewhere as the oil temp and coolant temp are dead and the oil pressure one is a bit erratic. Oil temp is a broken sensor, gotta investigate the others.

Bit tatty on the outside - both bumpers have been knocked is the main problem. Undecided whether to source some decent ones or just leave it for now.

Bit of a vibration/resonance occuring when you get above 40. Not related to engine speed. Need to give the suspension a good going over, get all the wheels balanced and see what happens.

So all in all I'm pretty happy with it for £360 with a years ticket. Will probably put it into a garage to get the LHM leak sorted and the whole system checked over in the next few days.

Anyways, here's some pics:

washed and polished now, so looks a bit better.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Carl Gibbs

trying to get to see your pictures and only get the following error ================================ Error Error (ERROR_PLATFORM_FAILURE) : a.. in modules/core/classes/GalleryTemplate.class at line 270 (gallerystatus::error) b.. in modules/core/classes/GalleryTemplate.class at line 222 (gallerytemplate::_initcompiledtemplatedir) c.. in main.php at line 318 (gallerytemplate::display) d.. in main.php at line 87 e.. in main.php at line 80

======================================= i have had the bx with the fluid leak, you will probably find the leak is either behind the radiator where the pipes go into a connector, and the other common plase is the pipes that go into the pump, to the right of the engine and towards the rear. its run by a fan belt so is easy to find.

Reply to
aussie bongo

I think its a low pressure pipe going into the octopus thingy at the back of the engine. If I'm really unlucky it may be the octopus itself.

Dunno whats going on with the Gallery, with have a look later. Here it is:

Carl Gibbs

yep that link works :) i see you have got the better front bumper, and side skirts with the rear wheel arches.

is it diesel or petrol?

Reply to
aussie bongo

GTi 16v IIRC.

Reply to
DanTXD

That'll be the one. Well BX 16v technically!

I reckon a new wheel bearing, new oil temp sender, bit of eletrickery and a little bit of work on the hydraulics and it should be ship shape. Not bad considering I paid half the going rate for them :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

50p, then.
Reply to
SteveH

Shows how much you know!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Indeed: I have had the very same car.

Tuned it a bit (the engine is the Peugeot Mi16-motor and from 167 HP flywheel to 180 HP at the wheels there is art nor big money involved), put in the PSA- short ratio gearbox (got for free from a rallye bloke), shaved the flywheel to extremes (required just work no money), stripped the interior for a raceseat and bolted a rollcage in.

Replaced the 16V-logo by the TRD-logo (diesel). The first exhaust damper was taken away and replaced by a lighter pipe (no perfermances gain except 5 kg less), set the idle at 1400 RPM (so stalling was avoided)and the car sounded a bit as a diesel... well at "tickover " it made noice :)

180 real horses at the frontwheels for about less than 900 kg together with short ratio, LSD and the softest tires available (some Polish make -Stomill?- lasting 1000 km on it) rocked. The car topped at 160 kph but nothing could get as fast to 160 as that car. Well nothing... I guess the 420 HP cossie would but only just.

Being close to a Porsche dealership you can guess where the BX was primarily used for. The Porsche testers liked it and few took the bait, but sales personnel complained a lot because they took the bait everytime. There were as good as no Porsche who could win the red light race against it :)

When I entered my own Stuttgart finest at the dealership , I was called in by the director who explained he liked the idea but that I should play those games with the Jaguar dealer (the other side of the road).

Fine gentleman who as a token of appreciation gave me a Porsche GT3 RS while my car was serviced :-)

Eventualy I broke the BX (bought for 200UKP in 1998) for pieces because I couldn't stand the ugliness any more (it had the identical faded red as yours) and sold the interesting parts. The engine - bog standard on the exception of the cams) went for 3000 UKP. Enjoy your BX16V.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Faded? How dare you!! OK, maybe it is a bit. Need to get some decent polish to try and get rid of more of it.

Its in the garage now being looked over by my Citroen expert (dad). Hopefully it wont need too much doing - £100 worth of work and I'll be happy.

The Volvo seems a bit slow now though (well it is slow, but even slower IYSWIM), still it least it has the RWD benefit to keep me amused.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Oh, I know exactly how much they sell for, but, IMHO, it's *far* too much for a very oddball and not very popular hot hatch.

Reply to
SteveH

It's not Italian. That's probably what makes it worth ever so slightly more than f*ck all.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

And you don't have to sweep little piles of rusty bits off the drive everytime you move it...

Reply to
DanTXD

That's because it's made from recycled Dairy Milk boxes.

Reply to
SteveH

Well it seems a lot of other people disagree with your 'HO'. I'm quite happy, and that's all I care about!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Well it seems Dairy Milk boxes hold together much better than the same generation Alfas, so what does that say? :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I like Dairy Milk.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I beg to differ.

Reply to
SteveH

Choose 10 75s at random and 10 BXs at random and compared how much bodywork has rotted away.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs