Re: How important is the gap in sparkplugs?

I've installed 4 new plugs into my Mondeo, but I didn't bother setting the

> gap, the car starts 1st time everytime, but I'm wondering what (if any) ill > effects will this have on my cars performance. > > Tia > > Stu. > >

Usually the gap is correct when the plug is new, the only problems are if the plug has been dropped. So, don't worry about it.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Not sure about the Mondeo gap, but most spark plugs come gapped correctly for the most common setting. Assuming they haven't been bashed in transit, of course.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

NGK plugs for the Zetec engine are PTR5A-13. They're preset to 1.3mm and I'd guess other makes would be the same.

Reply to
Chewie

Too big a gap and a larger current is required to create the spark which will result in premature failure of plug leads, dizzy contacts, rotor arms and ignition coils.

BUT it needs to be one hell of an oversize. A few thou isn't going to be an issue. Most plugs come pre-gapped at 30-32 thou which is what most cars require.

Reply to
Conor

No. Hot/Cold is how far up the casing the ceramic goes before being in contact with the outer.

Reply to
Conor

In which case, the gap is too small ;-)

Ford recommended closing the gap to 1mm, because the 1.3mm was too large, causing arcing between the cam cover and the lead on plug 1. This caused the very common "Misfire at high revs/load" problem.

HTH

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

On the Zetec Engines, running the publicised spark plug gap of 1.3mm can cause premature HT lead failure as the wide gap puts them under severe strain. The TSB recommends 1.0mm .

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

NGK plugs were what I fitted, so I'll be ok then. :-)

Thanks,

Stu.

Reply to
stu

Any idea what the gap likely to be on a two stroke? I've got to fettle my wife's moped tomorrow

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

Spark plugs are usually gapped at approx 30 thou. when bought. This is about right for many cars although not exactly right for most. For the ordinary motorist this should make little or no noticeable difference to anything. If your car is starting first time every time and running well,I shouldn't be too concerned, but as the gap widens through wear the performance will drop off slightly,but as this is gradual,you won't notice anything until you change the plugs in another 10 000 miles when your car will feel spritelier. It's more important to get the correct grade of plug for your car. Have you considered replacing the plug leads,rotor arm and distributor cap? If these are oldish,they can have an adverse effect on efficiency.

Regards Raymond

Reply to
Raymond Berry

Was this in general or applicable to the mondeo?

1) The Zetecs use DIS so one plug the gap will widen, the other it will get less. 2) Platinum plugs have a life expectancy of 30,000miles or more, not 10k.-bit expensive! 3) There is no cap or rotor arm on the Zetec, never mind distrubutor... 4) At least a 1.0mm gap is specified, this is bigger than 0.30thou!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

As a rough estimate, I was told "thumbnail size" and it seems to work well - with older engines anyway.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Cheers. I just put a new one in and whilst I was at the bike shop I asked about the gap. 0.6mm the man said after looking in his book. Rubbish is my conclusion. Got to be at least 0,8mm before the bloody thing ran reliably. I've just spent all day cleaning and fettling that scooter [1] and now I need several pints.

[1] to cut a long story short

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc