triumph herald 1200,,,,,,, Engine swap ?????

40mpg is achievable in the modern world, all of my 1200s in good mechanical order have had this kind of consumption. I don't have a light right foot either, but I've always maintained my own cars and adjust timing by ear - using the book figures is a dead loss as fuels have changed so drastically since the original figures were set, Cheers, Bill.
Bill Davies

In message , MeatballTurbo writes

Anyone here put a Skoda 5-speed in the back of an Imp? I'd love to put one in the back of my Clan Crusader, and the GRP floorpan mods don't worry me, but I'd like to know the definitive way of modding the driveshafts.

I would then be looking for an adapter to mate the Skoda box up to an

1800cc Subaru flat-4.

(and surprisingly, it doesn't screw-up the weight distribution! The shorter Subaru engine, together with a front radiator conversion gives a slightly more even F-R weight distribution).

Reply to
Chris Morriss

Have a look at

Ian

Personally if still around Imp based cars I would be very tempted to try fitting a Rover K16 -- the only component on the engine that is any heavier than the Imp unit is for obvious reasons the head.

Davrian built a few cars (mainly Mk7s and 8s) with various powerplant including Alfasud (also fitted in last Clans), Renault 16, VW, and transverse Mini and Fiesta, but later Davrians have more adaptable stucture and wider rear track than the Clan as they don't use the Imp suspension subframe.

Also standard Imp (& also the special Davrian/Darrian) trailing arms very easily take late model VW beetle double jointed shafts and hubs it is just a matter of using a different outer bearing, this makes fitting a Hewland or similar transaxle very easy.

Way back when adaptors were available from Jack Knight to fit Ford engines to Imp boxes , but even with the stronger JK straight cut gears the Imp gear box casing tends to distort badly under gear pressure loads, to couter this an externa strengthening brace kit was available back in the 70s early 80s from Chessman. I rember with the JK straight cut box the 5 speed was less reliable than the full straight cut 4 speed.

Reply to
dilbert

In message , dilbert writes

The K16 is a lovely engine but very tall. The Clan has even less room than the Imp, so needs a slanted engine or (preferably) a flat-4. Not the well-engineered but dreadfully heavy iron-block Alfasud though!

1800cc Subarus are around in both pushrod and OHC forms, and can give an easy 100BHP, which is enough for a 625kg Clan. It's trying to align the Subaru engine and Skoda box that's putting me off.

Interesting to hear about the drive shafts. VW based boxes are easily sourced, and you can get Subaru adapter plates from the USA. I'd prefer a more modern 5-speed box that split into two symmetrical halves though. It's a pity that you can't swap around the crown wheel in the Subaru 2WD box.

To get back to Triumphs: What's the current thinking on the best 5 speed box to mate to a MK2 Vitesse engine?

Reply to
Chris Morriss

Some Davrians also used the CVH engine, and mine started as an XR2 crossflow

1600 but now has a Lotus twin cam engine.

Have we drifted a little of topic ? :-)

-- Jonathan

Davrian 8, BMW M3 Remove AT to reply

Reply to