Turbocharger in VW Golf II

Good day

I'm writing in the name of my friend. Unfortunately his ability to speak English is even worse than mine :) Anyway he is an owner of VW Golf II and he loves this car. On his own replaces and improves various parts of it. For example recently he put in suspension from 4 drive wheel car and engine from other vw (I think passat). If you want, there are some movies:

He asked me to find some paperworks about turbocharging vw engines. Unfortunately I'm not an technician and I have no idea how to find it. I tried amazon.com, but I failed. The same way when searching torrents and edonkey. I would like to ask you to give me some advices - how and where can I find described details of putting turbocharger to a vw engines...

Thank you in advance for every piece of advice. Sorry for English, best regards

Reply to
Popey

One more thing: parallel to this post I'm posting it on uk.rec.cars.vw.watercooled

Reply to
Popey

Don't know about turbocharging existing engines in Mk2 Golfs, but the 1.8T from later models is a possible conversion. Can be complex as it involves changing the ECU, but doable.

Google search for Club GTI and look on the forums there - there are a few vaguely knowledgeable folks on here, but most of them would probably point you in that direction for more detailed info.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

I would expect it to be much easier and cheaper to fit a 1.8T engine as found in the Leon Cupra, A3 and Golf 4 GTI. These will push out 225 horses in standard specification, and 350bhp doesn't seem to be an uncommon figure for a show car. QPE

supply various components off the shelf to aid fitting the 1.8T into a MK2 Golf engine bay. This engine swap is widely documented, and some of the UK VW magazines have printed step by step guides.

16V (ie, KR) engines have been turbocharged in the past - mainly in the USA, but if you were to take the VR6 out, a 1.8T would be the better option (1.8T is lighter than the VR6, and the block is very similar to the original PB and KR engines fitted). However, I suspect you want to turbocharge the 2.9 VR6. That's likely to be problematic due to the amount of space available, and I doubt it has been done many times in the past - most people find the VR6 to be enough in a Golf 2, and those that don't are probably Americans. I suspect they supercharge the engines over there.
Reply to
Doki

It is possible to use the existing ECU using a modified loom - QPE make them for one.

ClubGTI can be very good and very bad, depending on who answers you question. Bit like here really :D.

Reply to
Doki

That's what I was going to suggest.

Chris Bartram

Nice car, was thinking about starting building a Mk2 R32 Turbo with Haldex next year myself (if I can find a 2 door syncro shell).

Have a look on the vwvortex of ClubGTI forums, you'll find lots of information on turbocharging the VR6 there.

Homer

Wed, 5 Nov 2008 16:56:28 -0000, na uk.rec.cars.modifications, AstraVanMann napisa³(a):

As you can see on youtube, my friend has golf II but with swaped engine. I don't know where is this engine from, but it's 2.9L so I suppose that turbocharging it would be less difficult.

OK, thanks for tip :) best wishes

Reply to
Popey

I will tell him that you like it :) I'm sure he will be glad. My friend started from common golf mk2 with 1.3l engine. First he started to build new interior - seats, panels, mainboard from mk3. Next AFAIR was engine - he put in 2l from vw passat. Lately he put in new suspension, that

2,9l engine and some other things - I'm not an expert... Anyway - he started from nothing :)

OK, thank you - I'm starting reading it. best wishes

Reply to
Popey

OK, I'm reading it. Thank you. best regards

Reply to
Popey

Turbocharging the 2.9 will be more difficult than the 1.8 or 2L 16V engines - the engine is larger, so there is much less room for the turbocharger, intercooler and pipes. It's also a more unusual conversion so much more will have to be made from scratch.

The 1.8T engine is probably easier and cheaper if you ask me - probably about £2000 (GBP) with off the shelf parts and a second hand engine. I can see a VR6 turbo easily running to more than that and being more problematic.

Anyway, this is a good thread with contributions from people I know are knowledgeable:

Doki