Umm, anyone wanna buy a 540i?

Worth a shot I suppose,

FS, BMW 540iSE Auto, E39, Nov 98 "S" reg,

17" M tech alloys, M suspension black electric leather "luxury" seats, late spec lights front and rear, (these cost around £600 :-o) remote heater, Top spec DSP stereo with subwoofer - genuine BMW stuff. electric rear blind, side blinds, 87k miles, FSH 2 owners from new No Nikasil problem :-p auto box replaced under warranty at around 30k miles

This thing cost over £50k 6 years ago, it's got plenty of sily options on it, has only had two owners from new, and is above average for an E39.

Asking price is around £8500.

Reply to
Pete M

Over to you, Steve...... :-))

Peter

-- "The humble bic biro draws 13 beards, 9 devil moustaches and 49 penises on newspapers in its lifetime."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

That's a nice price.

Had I not just bought the Pug, I'd have driven over for a looksee...

Reply to
Nom

Knowing the scouse git, it's quite possibly a pretty sane price to pitch it at.

However, I wouldn't touch it with yours.

Reply to
SteveH

Forwards post to Charlie with "this is a V8" in it.

Reply to
DervMan

Heh - just looked on Autotrader and it looks an entirely reasonable price. Must admit it did seem a lot for an S reg car, which is 6 years old now. But then this is, more or less, only one step down from an M5. And it's led to me eyeing up an E34 540i Estate on Autotrader, with electric seats and everything, in the same town as me. Seems awfully expensive for an E34 though, at around £3.5k, so I don't think I'll bother. But if it's as immaculate as the ad makes out, and hasn't got the nikasil problem.........

Peter

-- "The humble bic biro draws 13 beards, 9 devil moustaches and 49 penises on newspapers in its lifetime."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

E34s are OK, I suppose. Brother had one and it did the job - apart from some engine bodgery when he jammed the timing belt / chain (not sure which) after looking at the valve clearances or somesuch.

It didn't seem to be particularly well built, but it was of indeterminate mileage at the time. Closest guess is that it had done over 250k miles, so the quality issues were forgivable.

Reply to
SteveH

wos that then?

Reply to
dojj

Come on dojj - I'd expect better of you - google for it :-)

But in brief, nikasil-line cylinder bores had an adverse reaction with certain high suplhur petrol (I heard it's generally Shell fuel in the

80s-90s sourced from refineries in the Northern half of the country, but that *could* be complete bollocks), causing a lumpy idle as a result, the only cure being a new engine block. BMW replaced a hell of a lot of engines under warranty with an improved design, so in theory one with a proper full BMW service history should have had the engine replaced as a recall, but lots of dodgy ones out there.

Peter

-- "The humble bic biro draws 13 beards, 9 devil moustaches and 49 penises on newspapers in its lifetime."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

After all the problems you've reported on it I'd say it's rather worse than average for an E39. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd not touch an old V-8 BMW with a bargepole - unless you're perfectly happy to lose all your money. Nor a newer one either - unless you *really* can afford to buy run a *new* one.

From Dave, a happy BMW owner for the past 12 years.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk, Dave Plowman (News) decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Heh, all it's problems have been fixed, apart from the rear cupholders, but as they're only £28, if someone off this NG buys it, I'll put new cupholders in.

It's even had a new digital display readout fitted so the trip computer works as it should on the dashclocks. That was the best part of £500.

If it hadn't just been replaced by a 645 it wouldn't be for sale.

Reply to
Pete M

In news:84YCd.233$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-win.ntli.net, Rob decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

I'll sort some, I'll have to go on a mission to sunny Wilmslow tomorrow.

I'd have brought it home, but there's too many cars here already

Reply to
Pete M

May I be the first to say "you bastard"

and "can I have a go"

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I'd buy it in a second if it was in Australia. Same car over here would fetch at least Aus$60k. Shit you guys get some bargains.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Hmm, tempting!!

But not really the right image for me at 22!! :-)

  • it's a bit old...
Reply to
Andy R

you sure? i heard that the V8 had other problems that affected the bores too, like idlig for long periods ?

Reply to
dojj