Volvo 480 Turbo

Pah, you can do that sort of mileage in a Ka, as I do. :)

Reply to
DervMan

Yebbut I can get > 40mpg in a Golf GTi. Never happened once in the Ka. Had to be thrashed everywhere to get decent progress and that made it pretty uneconomical for the size of it.

Reply to
Doki

*ding*

There's quite a few things in favour of a Golf GTI....

Decent engine, build quality, handling, image, depreciation proof.

If I were buying a city car, it would be a Cinq. Sporting, no question.

Reply to
SteveH

The only downside to a Golf GTi is that it's a pain in the arse to park without PAS. Got completely used to the stupidly heavy steering of the 340, but can't get used to it in the Golf. Possibly because it's only ever heavy when you're parking.

Reply to
Doki

There was guy breaking a golf syncro with PAS on it on ebay, but he demands stupid prices... out of interest I enquired about the syncro 4x4 system and he wanted £400 for it... whole fekin cars go for less than that and the gear box casing was cracked!

Reply to
REMUS

There goes a man who has never driven a Syncro.

Trust me. I'd pay £400 to get the bloody system ripped out.

I very much doubt you could transfer it to a standard car. The Jetta boot capacity was halved on the Syncro.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Wimp.

Can't say I ever noticed it being an issue; I seek out the cars without PAS. :D

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

It's been done a few times since people put the system into 3 door GTi's (the 4x4 system only came in 4 door format I think), you just need a rear syncro floor pan. Two of the fastest (0-60 & 1/4 mile) road legal golfs (I know of) use syncro systems although they probably aren't stock.

This is the best guide

although as he explains, this conversion is done using an Audi TT rear floor pan.

Reply to
REMUS

Problem was that I had a PAS Mondeo between the Volvo and the Golf :D. That and riding a bike does f*ck all for your arms. Still, at least I've got powerful enough legs to make golf brakes work ;).

Reply to
Doki

And they probably aren't Syncro, they're 4Motion with the Haldex differential, which is very different to a Mk II Golf/Jetta Syncro (and different to a Golf Rallye/G60, too). The Golf III Syncro is not the same as a Golf II Syncro, which is the only official Syncro you'll find in the UK aside from the Transporter (which is a very, very different transmission again).

Grandmother? Please, breathe out as much as possible.

Now, about this egg.

Trust me, Remus, you don't want to start me on VW 4 wheel drive systems. They only sold 174 Jetta Syncros in the UK and 204 (IIRC) Golfs; I have an obsessive personality and thought Syncro sucked when compared to my Audi 90 Quattro.

Figure out what I spent the time I owned my Syncro learning about.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

I used to go from Land Rover to Fiesta to PAS Mercedes... Never been bothered by changing from PAS to non.

What you want to try is going from a Citroen CX, to knackered Mitsubishi L200.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

I ok I shall reserve it until I really need to annoy you.

;)

Out of interest did audi make any specifically rwd cars in the 1980s?

Reply to
REMUS
[...]

I don't think Audi/Auto Union have made anything RWD since the end of WWII - could be wrong though...

Alistair J Murray

Porsche 924 ;).

Reply to
Doki