Weather Deflector/Rover

I have a 1996 Rover 420 which i bought to replace an ageing 'high miler'

216...something which i now regret.

First thing i noticed on the 'new shape' Rover is if you drop the side windows more than half an inch during driving in wet weather, you get a shower inside the car. Not much better either when you park up and open the door, rain just falls straight off the roof onto the seats.....all due to stupid design!

Have any owners fitted rain/wind deflectors to solve this problem and if so i'd be interested in knowing what type they bought, price, and if it did the job. I've seen only one advert for these things which at almost £60 is not exactly cheap for two pieces of plastic.

JO

Reply to
Jo

Er, why would you open the window if it's raining ?

I think it more likely that other people leave the windows closed in the rain :)

Reply to
Nom

Lots of reasons, helps airflow if you don't got A/C and want to clear steamy windows, allows cigarette ash to exit the car rather than fall embarassingly, expensively and sometimes painfully into your lap. I'm sure the OP is not suggesting opening the windows fully, just a few cm.

Some cars are worse for water falling in the windows than others. I'd just get a new car (c:

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Smoking. throwing change into a toll bucket shouting abuse at Nova drivers whistling at sixth form girls wearing wide belts. Getting rid of a ginsters pasty wrapper. Getting rid of a ginsters pasty.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

LOL - do people buy cars without aircon ?

Ha. Serves him right for smoking then ! He chooses to smoke, so he shouldn't mind putting up with it's problems - be they burnt laps, or wet car interiors.

:)

Reply to
Nom

You can hardly complain that your choice of being a smoker, means you get wet in the car. If you don't like the issues it causes, then stop smoking !

Whilst moving at speed ?

Fair points. AirCon doesn't help in any of those situations :)

Reply to
Nom

Ha! Bet you wish your car didn't have aircon now eh?

(c:

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

NEVER EVER DO THIS

This is very dangerous and can lead to a severe beating the the biker following you

Reply to
Xbase Person (Please note spammers email address used)

Is it me - or is smoking a cigarette whilst driving possibly one of the stupidest and "most likely to result in a silly accident" things that one can do behind the wheel of a car?!

I smoke but would not DREAM of doing it whilst driving - to me it seems much more foolish than holding a mobile phone or, god forbid, driving at 32 in a 30 zone - yet it is still legal.

how odd.

Reply to
p!

I only ever smoke if I'm stuck in a proper jam. Like on the M1 when some fool decided it would be a good idea to divert everyone through the centre of Doncaster. I'm surprised we didn't all get parking tickets!

Reply to
Robert R News

Heh, an acquaintance of mine is one of these tough biker types, stocky and bearded as f*ck, tattoo'd to the eyeballs, etc. He had an 'altercation' with someone on the road about a year ago, ended up pulling in front of the car and pulling them over. The car driver got out and dropped him in one punch. My how we laughed :)

Reply to
Lordy

How would they do that ? Clearly the bike is gonna come off much worse against a car !

Reply to
Nom

Some of them are hard some are not, some are policemen and get the drivers prosecuted.

Don't tar all of one group with the same image, just because your mate got knocked out doesn't mean that others would.

Another true story, names withheld to protect them. A person was riding a small motorcycle home from work, a van decided to play silly and push the bike into the pavement, at the next traffic lights the laughing van driver was hit hard and knocked unconsious.

Reply to
Xbase Person (Please note spammers email address used)

I *VERY* much hope the biker was prosecuted, and found to be guilty.

Quite simply, violence is not acceptable.

Reply to
Nom

True, OTOH the van driver is guilty of violence too. He's used his van as a weapon in an attempt to kill or injure the biker.

That's a few steps more serious than dangerous driving, which is only a question of not caring about the risk of an accident.

Overall, I reckon they "exchanged details" for themselves, which is probably a lot less bother than bringing cases. Of course, if the van didn't deliberately knock the bike over, that's an entirely different situation and the retribution is unjustified.

Reply to
antispam

He obviously made a couple of mistakes then:

  1. He took his helmet off
  2. Having taken his helmet off, he didn't use it to smack the driver round the head
Reply to
SteveH

No they were not prosecuted - but then the driver deliberately tried to run the bike off the road.

Reply to
Xbase Person (Please note spammers email address used)

Is this all you would do?

You would not get angry at someone trying to kill you?

If it had happened to me the van driver would have lost his licence quite quickly - I know a few traffic police in that area - (via hobbies)

Reply to
Xbase Person (Please note spammers email address used)

It was deliberate the van tried for a while to push the bike off the road - it was a C90 FR80 type of bike, a go to work bike.

Another case I know of a car followed a bike on the main dual carriage way between Gloucester and Cheltenham, bumping the back of the bike, the bike accelerated away - fast round a roundabout - the car rolled on the roundabout trying to catch it.

I think the car was either a drunk or lads upset at being overtaken.

I once had a follow up ass on main beam on a 250 for a couple of miles - slowed down - would not overtake - I took a roundabout at 80mph which a car cannot take fast at all, I lost the car (Straight line through on a bike!)

Reply to
Xbase Person (Please note spammers email address used)

It is I nearly got killed on Telegraph Hill in Devon I was doing 60mph BLIND

I had to emergency stop with traffic at the top where the bends start.

After a minute of scraping ash from my eyes I was able to ride on, I discussed this with people I knew - who told me what they had done in a similar case.

I cannot remember who told me except it was about 15 years ago.