What's your opinion on this one...

Slightly OT maybe, but since cars are mooted as a contributary factor:

Abo

TBH I think it is all bollocks. Sure every emission produced (cow crap and people farts included) helps contribute the climate change (down as well as up), but I imagine that this has been happening all through the various prehistoric periods. Infact we are due another ice already.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

That happened on April 7th, the new Ice Age.

Scrat is brilliant, but the two new additions are s**te.

Reply to
Pete M

Complex things, climate systems.

When I was young the big worry was the next Ice Age and there were all sorts of ideas for staving it off, like spreading coal dust on glaciers to melt them(!) or big mirrors in orbit...

At some point everyone stopped worrying about the Ice Age and started worrying about Global Warming...

Things like the Krakatoa eruption have a much more dramatic effect on both weather and atmospheric chemistry than anything man does.

Whatever we do or don't do one thing is certain, the weather will change, just as it always has. Our current global weather is fairly moderate - it's been much warmer and much colder in the past - and my feeling is that we'd be much better off using our technological prowess to ensure we survive what *it* decides to do rather than timorously trying to influence it when we are far from sure what our (in)actions might do.

Complex things, climate systems.

Alistair J Murray

Serpently are. Isn't there one theory that if the ice caps melt a little bit more, the gulf stream stops, and Northern Europe is plunged into an Ice Age - despite global warming? :-p

Reply to
DervMan

Yeah, due to the fact that the ice caps are freshwater, if enough melts it will alter the salinity of the north atlantic, either disrupting the atlantic conveyor or driving it further south meaning we don't get the warm water from the gulf. Britain is on approximately the same latitude as Labrador so we'll get simialr weather to what they do now. So the theory goes.

Be great for our ski industry though, and I reckon I could make good use of a snowmobile ;)

Reply to
Abo

People used to live on the tops of hills in the peak district during the bronze age, and then it got colder and they had to move down into the valleys (volcanic eruption sooted out the sun IIRC). Then the romans made wine here. And then there was a warm period in the middle ages. And then for a few years they had fairs on the Thames every winter because it was frozen solid. The UN's calculations assume that all warming is due to CO2 emissions, which is bullshit. Don't believe in it at all myself.

Reply to
Doki