Car noise, what's your verdict on this problem?

My car makes a periodic noise as the wheel turns (around 25-70 miles/hour). It's not metal creeking noise, but flapping sound.

Here are what some mechanics told me:

- One mechanic checked the car (lift it up and also do a drive test) told me it is the brake rotor worn out not evenly. However, when I apply a slight push on the brake pedal, the noice is still there. He also notice that my left drive shaft is out of oil, and will need to be replaced soon.

- A 2nd mechanic told me that it could be the ball bearing of the car, and that needs to be replaced. He asked me to tilt my head left and right to hear where the noise is loudest, and where it fade, it seems to be on the left. However, it's not that definitive. Also, drive slowly from 5 to 10 miles/hour in a quiet area, there's also a clicking noise on the right hand side (as the wheel turn).

- There's a 3rd mechanics (from the used car dealer that I bought the car) that checked the car and said everything is tight, and safe to drive, and old car makes noise. However, I need to replace a steering strut bearing because it makes noise when I turn the wheel (even when the car not running).

So, the question is what's the source of the noise here? Is it the brake hitting the rotor? Is it the wheel bearing? Or is it the drive shaft?

I wonder if I have any legal option to return the car or get it fixed by the dealer. It came with 30 days 50% power train warranty (which already passed). All the noise came during this time and I brought the car in for those problem during that time. The radio/CD player is not working and they orally promise to replace it, but never deliver.

The 3rd mechanic/dealer refuse to pay for the cost of replacing the steering strut bearing (he quotes around $270.00). Initially, they promised to fix it, but they keep putting grease on it and that noise (from steering back and forth) went a way for couple days then came back. So, after 2 times of repair by greasing by them, the 3rd time I brought the car in for repair, they looked at it, gave me a quote, and refuse to pay for it. (they said it's a courtesy thing to replace the radio and the repair, but they're not willing to pay for a new radio or the replace of the bearing).

Reply to
vdu

Your guarantee is what you have in writing, not what somebody said. If they didnt write it, they didnt say it. If they wrote it, and wont back it, talk to your lawyer for advice.

Are you out of the 30 day guarantee period?

What kind of car is it?

The mechanics you have chosen don't seem to have a concensus on the problem.

If the CV joint is dry, or the boot is damaged, you will have to do something about it soon. This is pretty easy for a mechanic to evaluate.

Brakes can make clacking noises which usually disappear when you apply pressure. It is often not serious, but this does not seem to fit your woes.

If the rotors were warped or unevenly worn, I would think you might feel pulsation in the pedal when braking from speed. Do you?

Reply to
<HLS

You should expect some noise from a Yugo like that. If the mechanic says it's safe, then the noise is probably just a little rotor warpage.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Reply to
Frank Knight