when is it TOO big?

this has been laid on an A4 bit of paper

what do you think?

dojj

I think you should buy me a pair !

Reply to
Nom

mehh i've seen bigger : P

Reply to
REMUS

£750 says i might do when i win the lottery :)

so have I, but somehow I don't think I'm going to get 22.5 inch rims under the arches of my sierra :)

Reply to
dojj

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 07:30:52 +0100, " dojj" wrote:

It's too big when it won't fit in the wheel.

So you turn it inside out like the Buell Zero Torsional Load braking system.

a big overweight look how big my wallet is OTT car caliper but ahuge diameter full floating rim mounted disc and very small 6 potcaliper, lots lighter and more swept area than even an alloy bell racedisc. As it won't foul the wheel rim the caliper can have a strongdeep inboard brace that doubles as the mounting bracket to preventflex, without having to be made from thick slabs of alloy, extended5cm each end and have a brace on top. I think the Buell uses ceramicor sintered metal pads (like the friction puck on a paddle clutch),they are very thin. Everything about this bike is hypertec then theystick an antique 50bhp/L tractor engine in it! Honda used inverted disc brakes 20 years ago on the VT250 V twin, CBX550 I4, VF400 and VF500 V4's but got it way wrong by only making small discs fit in a big drum brake like hub with short alloy spokes to a rivetted on Comstar alloy wheel rim.
one in a cast alloy rim
one is from a 250 and only had a single disc in the LHS. Thecast iron disc floated on slottted lugs at the three bright bolts seena 1, 5 and 9 o'clock in the lower picture - you can just see the slotand lugs at 1 o'clock though the gap between cover and wheel. Singlesided two piston caliper as no room for internal pistons. This wasHonda's sad cure for loss of braking when using exposed stainlessdiscs in the rain. They fixed it two ways, 1: used cast iron disc. 2put a cover over it - so it didn't expose the naff rusty cast iron.Either would have done the job alone. Everyone else developed a highmetal content pad that worked wet or dry on bright shiny blingingstainless steel. I was using EBC formula 054 pads in 1979 on a HondaCJ250.

Aircraft brakes are more like inverted multiplate clutches, they have full circle friction plates stacked alternately with discs. The friction discs are splined externally into a drum like carrier that rotates with the wheel, while the plain discs are splined internally on to an inner stationary hub. The whole lot is clamped by 6 or more big hydraulic cylinders acting on outer stationary plain discs.

Peter Hill

Noooooo ! don't remind me, my first ever bike, I learned to ride on it, it was too small for me and I looked a little strange sat on it ;) but I loved it. I let it run low on oil on a run once and didn't notice 'til I smelled cooking ally, filled it up with oil again but the big ends and crank were knackered, I rebuilt it but it was never the same again :( Anyway, back on topic, them there inboard discs were s**te, weekly strip and clean in the winter just to keep 'em unseized with the salt ;(

Reply to
Tony Bond