Wife mode for TVR

Eh? SD1s are pretty benign. On the whole.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I bet it's not as bad as my first XM, which had Technika remoulds on and basically would not go around corners in the wet, at all, if you were doing over 20.

Those tyres were the best advert for Michelin ever. I absolutely refused to fit anything but Michelins to my Citroens after that!

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Weeks?

the CBR just *wasn't* fast enough..

But the difference between a honda melody and a stock 600 is mild in comparisson. Both are "soft" and inofensive. Both do "mild delayed soft cuddly stuff" thats on this side of sane and sensible. Its easy to understand and get used to. Ones faster but the experience is basically the same.

A big bike with big bores and daft compression and undamped slide carbs (not "CV:s") is a lot different . You think you can understand it but you need to experience it! Its way way OTT... Its violent and far too instant. Its so sudden and physically impossible that your brain just cant understand or accept it. Like a bomb going off much harder and more violent than you can ever imagine or think you can. Any throttle control really isnt possible as you physically cant get your head around it..

Reply to
Burgerman

Richard Kilpatrick gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Kumho on the front of a CX...

Reply to
Adrian

Which sounds bad, until you consider that the suspension was the only bit of the Metro that BL actually got right.....

Reply to
SteveH

Woosung (?) on the front of an XM with faulty ABS..

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

I've driven it a few times in the wet and in the dry. It's brutal, but no more so than my CBR600 was really, and the CBR was quicker. You just have to be light footed when it rains, it's not hard. In the dry I reckon you'd have to be doing something pretty silly to lose it. I lost my bottle and slowed down before my lack of talent killed me :-) I was doing 120-odd on a B-road though..

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

I can't fit in an MX-5

Reply to
Drew.H

I took the MGF out in the wet and thrashed the rear end off it, it didn't do anything unexpected. Mind you my previous toy was a 2.1L Dutton Phaeton, which did corner superbly, but could be a bit of a handful if you hit a bump in the road on a bend.

I have had a few people say how they weren't happy with MGFs handling. I must have a good one, I can't fault it.

Reply to
Drew.H

Goodyear NCTs on my last BX, perfect for the car and much better than the Michelins it was fitted with when delivered.

Reply to
Steve Firth

As I said, it has standard saloon car handling. Safe, predictable and a bit boring. It's no sports car.

Humm, are you sure you want a TVR?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Have you ever tried? Doug is about 6' 5" or something and he has done 15k this year in one or something. He is hugely skinny though...

Reply to
DanB

Hairdressers car. Import a half price Corvette.

Burgerman

Yes, I need something to drive over the winter months, when I'm not using the bike ;o)

I'd like something that is a little more fun than the MGF, the MGF just goes where you point it. I want something with a little more attitude. Something without ABS, power steering and traction control. Something like my Dutton with more leg room and faster. Not forgetting that V8 noise.

Reply to
Drew.H

Can't be any worse than the Dutton was in snow, or the Blackbird with bald tyres on loose chippings, or the return journey with the Blackbird on new tyres on loose chippings, which incidentally was the first time I rode it.

We will still have a Proton Jumbuck with snow/mud tyres for the winter, we need it for the horses. Which is another subject, she bough a horse far to big for her (over 16HH, Dutch warm blood cross cob), off its head and way more dangerous than any car/bike, just ask my little toe :o(

Reply to
Drew.H

Yes and I didn't, but I have long legs and a beer gut.

The sitting position in the Chimera was superb, not cramped, everything within easy reach. One small problem with the Chimera is that I can't easily fit in the passenger seat, the dash was in the way. I really need to try some of the other TVRs for the sitting position. If the worst comes to the worst we may end up with a Boxer, but I'd rather not.

Reply to
Drew.H

No one here driven a Clio V6 up/down a steep hill (Folkton Brow for people that know this area) in the snow and -5c temps then...? The most dimwitted ABS system ever, coupled with mid engine, heaps of low down torque, 245 profile rear tyres etc etc...

Reply to
DanB

Get a Clio V6 - satifies the 'silly and dangerous cars' criteria hehe!

Reply to
DanB

Our current shopping trolley is a Vectra v6 2.5 SRi, with a few mods (such as enlarged throttle body, K&N, cold air feed). I have promised that to son once I get TVR.

Reply to
Drew.H

It is indeed, but it's the size I'm more worried about. Last time she drove my BX she scraped the front bumper along a wall. The SD1 is a fair bit bigger.

But then there is the problem of old, budget rear tyres plus wet roads that worries me. They've caused me a few hairy moments, so I dont want to subject her to that. Maybe I worry too much - she's had a mk1 MR2 and an MX5 and I've seen her correct oversteer in them, but I don't want my pride and joy getting broken :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs