Wife mode for TVR

I think you'll find they were Metro ones. IIRC, the rear 'frame in an MGF is very closely related to the front one in a Metro GTi.

Reply to
Pete M

Boxer + LS1 + supercharger?

Reply to
Depresion

"AstraVanMan" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

There's a VERY nice Activa for sale at the mo, cheap, just needs the clutch slave replacing (and the parts are with it). Be a shame to see it broken.

Reply to
Adrian

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Every so often I see a RWD car of some variety (MX5s, switchable 4x4s, BMWs etc.), backwards at the exit to a roundabout, with the owner scratching their head at the side of the road. Training is the only way to avoid it - ESP can do a good job of sorting a sliding car out, but it's not something you can retrofit, so the only way to control a slide is to know how to. It's not about speed or power - hit a patch of diesel or have to unexpectedly change the attitude of a car like a TVR is likely to require above average driving skill if you want to stay on the road.

Reply to
Doki

No. They're s**te. I had the displeasure of being in one every morning and evening for a week in Pittsburgh last month.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

where where??

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

"Mike P" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

auction's over, but I don't think it sold.

Reply to
Adrian

*perk*

V6?

Actually, what am I saying.

Hmmm.

Wonder if I could sell the MR2 and have one last mad car before the C6... I nearly bought a VX2300GLS...

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

excellent, I've emailed him... thanks!

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Richard Kilpatrick gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

No, the usual TCT. All the other engines - 2.1TD, HDi, V6 were cack- hander only.

Reply to
Adrian

Big v8, 170 out of the crate, rear drive, look great, 2 seats, for half price or the same price as a small "sporty" front drive eurobox - how can they be s**te!!!

Reply to
Burgerman

It's okay, I spotted a V6 non-Activa...

I sense a quick MR2 change coming on.

Just to get me into the Citroen spirit, you know?

Can a Xantia take a double-DIN radio, I wonder...

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Richard Kilpatrick gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

RHD v6 Activas have been built.

The v6 is the one Cit said couldn't physically be built RHD. They just didn't think diseasels would sell here.

Reply to
Adrian

No its not! Hooliganism does it better. When I was 17 all cars (almost) were rear drive. Just find a field. After about a week of playing you can easily and comfortably do completely acurate and controlled drifts for ten mins at a time. After a further year or so you can do the same thing on motorway slip roads, large roundabouts (for several laps) in the rain etc. You get really good at it through practice. Then later in life when you are a bit less hooliganistic the idea of landing in a hedge isnt even an issue, and never even crosses your mind. Rear drive is easy to control and great fun. You just need to learn the art. Grass fields... Grass fields and a bunch of trafic cones... After a while you will see tiff isnt very special.

-
Reply to
Burgerman

The very harsh ride on anything other than a totally smooth road makes them pretty useless over here. I wasn't that impressed with the power either

Mike P

Not a bad idea!

Reply to
Drew.H

That would be 3 mpp, she likes a bargain.

Reply to
Drew.H

Its a big strong quad cam V8 in a mild state of tune. Only 400 hp from 6.2 litres. It rumbles and rolls around with very few revs. Automatics post a 0-60 time of 4.3 seconds. Thats not slow already(!) and you can stick 400bhp of nitrous on it without any issues cos its big and strong, giving you 800+ bhp... At least I can!

Then it would run a sdanding quarter as fast as a big bike, and go on way past its normal 172mph...

Even without nitrous (or a twin turbo setup (or both!) it can easily be hotted up with a few simple tweaks if 60 in 4 secs and 172 isnt enough...

As for the suspension its something I could live with when you look at the cost. You can have one here NEW for the same price as a boring front drive "hot" hatch... What has similar performance or style? even at double the price of a us imported corvette?

EG the fastest 0 to 60 and back to zero figures of the ten fastest cars: (benzworld data)

  1. Porsche 911 Turbo - 0-60-0 mph: 6.16 sec
  2. Porsche Carrera GT - 0-60-0 mph 6.38 sec
  3. Lamborghini Gallardo - 0-60-0 mph 6.39 sec
  4. Mercedes Benz SLR McLaren - 0-60-0 mph 6.42 sec
  5. Ferrari F430 F1 - 0-60-0 mph 6.48 sec
  6. Mercedes Benz CLK DTM AMG - 0-60-0 mph 6.5 sec
  7. Lamborghini Murcielago - 0-60-0 mph 6.61 sec
  8. Porsche 911 GT2 - 0-60-0 mph 6.72 sec
  9. Porsche 911 GT3 - 0-60-0 mph 6.73 sec
  10. Corvette Z06 - 0-60-0 mph 6.76 sec

All of the above are MASSIVELY more expensive than a corvette that you could have sat on your drive for 25k or less if you import it correctly.

Dont believe me? Check out the u.s. prices. Remember you dont pay their purchase tax either and shipping and insurance and the special test they have to have here all adds up to about 800 quid. And if you know anyone thats disabled they can do it without paying car import duty or VAT... I just did all this with my half price Chrysler van.

Most of these are above 3 times that price! Or much more. And they are all highly tuned and no room left for serious leaning on... The 911 turbo for eg is a tiny car and has little room. It also is very highly stressed and tuned already.

If you added 400bhp of nitrous to that 911 it would launch its highly stressed motor into next week. The Corvette however is not even turboed. Its got a big old yank V8 sat there doing very little. 64bhp per litre to be exact! Thats very low. It could be very cheaply and easily improved! But I would just fit a progressive nitrous system, +400bhp extra because its a big strong lazy engine. Even then its only 128 bhp per litre. Thats still less than the 911 turbo, by the way. And its power doubles to 800. Then all the others in that list are history... And since I build nitrous systems it would cost me peanuts! But the wheelchair wont fit.

Reply to
Burgerman

I have to say, having done a few thousand miles in 911s and 911 Turbos, and a few hundred in Corvettes, that I'd *much* rather have a 911 than a 'Vette, and I quite like Corvettes.

I know it's wrong, me preferring a flat 6 to a V8, but this is the exception that proves the rule.

911s are sublime. Corvettes are ok, but they're not comparable on UK roads. I'd go as far as saying that I'd rather have the 911 Carrera 3.2 I was using a couple of years ago than a brand new, top spec, nitrous'd Corvette.
Reply to
Pete M