X flow head?

I was researching gains on fitting twin 45s onto the gti and it was mentioned than an "X Flow head" is by far the best option because the carbs are mouted staight infront of the oncomming air flow.

What cars where fitted with the X flow I need?

Reply to
REMUS

Those non fuel efficient things that give faster throttle response than fuel injection...

Reply to
Burgermans other computer

Rubbish. Try proper throttle bodies and 3D ignition and you'll never *ever* want to see carbs again.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I have set up and installed lots of these systems on bikes and cars on various fuels on the dyno and on the strip for customers and my own use.

I much prefer them, BUT when you blip the throttle you can always beat fuel injection. It hesetates and lags slightly because the computer has to chech its map / sensors etc and it takes time. Not much nowadays but still its there.

Thats why mechanical fuel injection, or big carbs are used in the vast majority of really fast cars like drag cars. The accelerator pump does not have to ask permission from a computer before it squirts fuel to match the airflow!

Reply to
Burgermans other computer

You mean those things that can't supply the correct amount of fuel through the entire rev range?

Reply to
Homer

How would you set up my 8v gti engine on a fairly limited budget?

And don't say throw it away put another engine in ;)

Reply to
REMUS

They can't be that bad or experienced people wouldn't use them, in the same way that extreme cams don't provide power through the entire rev range.

I'll put the same question to you as burgerman then to see how your opinions differ.

How would you set up my 8v gti on a fairly limited budget?

Reply to
REMUS

How limited? Set up for what: road, track or strip?

Reply to
Depresion

What do you want it to do?

Does it need to be economical used on road? track days? drag strip? Hill climbs? (Theres a plan!)

Reply to
Burgermans other computer

Say for now £800-1000 with scope for improvement, I have no preference for new or 2nd hand items.

Road/Track

Bearing in mind this is what I already have, although I am prepared to sell&switch items:

Big valve head ported and polished Kent cams Scorpion exhaust from the manifold back with a 2x3" tail pipe Koni adjustable with a -30mm drop

Reply to
REMUS

See my reply to depression, and no I don't care about fuel economy ;)

Reply to
REMUS

Seriously fast not economical, cheap power...

Sell head and cams, use stock use extra money to: Buy big oversized healthy turbo from breakers, and fabricate an exhaust manifold from a steel tubular header, and use a 3.5 inch pipe straight out the side... Turbos are silencers too!

(Id use a T4 and a seperate adjustable wastegate like the old bike mr turbo systems used.)

Lower compression, with say 2mm thick head gasket, (two stock gaskets and a

1.5mm copper plate? go measure)

Feed turbo air into a couple of cheap metro turbo SU blow through carbs Feed fuel via a big pump, and 3 port compensated regulator, at say 4psi over manifold pressure. Means a bit more pipework but its just pipe! Find a welder. Use a big intercooler if you can find one if not dont worry too much - they make far less difference than you expect..

Expect huge power from big turbo, at quite low boost as its not restrictive at high rpm like a sensible sized one is. But dont expect boost at low (sub

4500) revs! Its a track car right?

Fit a cheap boost retard box (there loads) to stock ignition with colder plugs, and high octane fuel.

Go to a rolling road and set it up! You want tons of boost, without detonation, by being rich, and retarded. Set boost by simply fitting a bleed valve in pipe! Cheap, simple, not very sophysticated but very easy to do and get big power. Oh you will need a strong clutch.

I could do that using a breakers yard turbo (I got two truck ones for 50 each and they have no wastegates built in) and fabricate the pipes and set it up inside your budget.

Since this approach on a bike engine gives about 270 from the original 120 you can expect to surprise a few people!

Reply to
Burgermans other computer

Oh good because my reply should get it down to less than half what it did before!

Reply to
Burgermans other computer

^^^^^^^^

Very apt, given the OP ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Yeah, just street cars, touring cars, rally cars, sports cars, F1 cars.... should I do on, or do you get the picture?

Reply to
SteveH

There is no way in hell i'm going to be MOT this is there...

Reply to
REMUS

Only i'm not rich :)

Reply to
REMUS

Hence me only highlighting 'retarded'.

YTC.

Reply to
SteveH

On my news reader it highlights the pair.... oh who gives a shit anyway.

Reply to
REMUS

Easy, you're building a car for trackdays aren't you? In that case spend all the budget on suspension, brakes and track driving lessons. There's no point spending money on the engine for a relatively small amount of power if at the end of the day you're only driving the car at 70% of what it's capable of. There's no point making the car faster in a straight line if it has to slow for the corners. There's no point spending money on upgrading anything if you're not getting 100% out of what you already have. Spend the money on track driving lessons.

Reply to
Homer