end of mustang??

For the last decade, auto makers have connected with baby boomers by recreating storied cars from their youth like the VW Beetle, Chevrolet Camaro and Dodge Challenger.
Now, Ford Motor Co. is betting it is time to hit the brakes on the retro trend, and shift its focus to a younger generation.
The Mustang, the Pony car that launched affordable and compact sports cars, today strongly hews to the look of the 1964 original. But Ford is working on radical makeover of its signature youth-market car, people familiar with Ford's plans said. The next generation would retain the shark-nosed grille ...
Reply to
WindsorFo
Do you guys remember when it was thought the car that became the Probe would be the "new" Mustang.....
Ed
Reply to
C. E. White
In article ,
I'm not liking that new style at the moment. It will probably grow on me. Youth-market car, eh? Yep, I'm an old fart. /grin
Reply to
twk
If 400+ HP doesn't grow on you, then start looking for a nursing home.
(Even my wife's new Flex has 355 HP; I need a Mustang GT to keep up.}
Reply to
Bob Willard
In article ,
Oh I like the horse power. It's the style that isn't doing anything for me.
Reply to
twk
Have to agree. I'm an old fart, too (for sure), but the current Mustang looks dated - especially when you look at the complete Ford line-up at fordvehicles.com. I wouldn't mind seeing 400HP in a 21st century design. The new Fusion is gorgeous; I think Ford could do wonders with the Mustang, while staying true to the heritage.
I've had enough retro for this lifetime, thanks.
dwight
Reply to
dwight
On Apr 17, 4:31=A0pm, Bob Willard wrote:
Someone say Flex? LOL! Slap a tune on your wife's Flex and you'll have 400 HP! The only thing is the Flex is almost 5000 pounds! LOL! You'll be surprised at the looks you get when you start running low 13s in your wife's grocery getter!!!
As for the new design on the Mustang... had heard it was going to be a pretty radical change... I need to see one in person before i decide...
Reply to
John S.
I think in ended in 1970. The 71 - 73 Mustangs were too big, too heavy, too whatever for my taste. I actually think the 79-2004 Mustangs were closer to the original than the 71-73 Monsters. My Son has a 2006. It is OK, but to my tastes, the 2001 I owned was better. I suppose from an engineering standpoint the 2006 is better design, but it is too big and heavy while at the same time having a less desirable driving position. Not as bad as a Camaro, but still not great.
Ed
Reply to
C. E. White
I think it ended in 1966. The '67-'70 were too big, too muscular looking. Not small, light, and lithe, like the originals. And don't get me started on the Batmobile-wannabee '71-'73s -- over-the-top, flamboyant styling with no purpose. The Mustang IIs were a joke. The '79-'93s had no classic Mustang cues to be a real Mustang. The '94-'98s were bloated looking. The '99-04s, while trimmer, were still too big and relied too much on plastic scoops. The '05-'09 were a hodgepodge of previous designs, not an original. The same with the '10-'13, plus it has too much muscle car aggression going on. So there you have it -- a real Mustang hasn't been built since 1966.
I'm kidding, of course. They are all Mustangs. They all added to the lineage and will soon help the Mustang survive to see its 50th birthday.
Patrick
Reply to
patrick.mckenzie84
I have to agree, Dwight. I think they've played the retro for all it's worth. Time for something new. Keep a few of the classic Mustang cues and proportions but give us something new.
Patrick
Reply to
patrick.mckenzie84
my '66 was a big disappointment to me...it felt like working on a tractor after having european cars all my driving life here in Scotland........
Reply to
Jimbo /m ...

Site Timeline Threads