1971 coupe can it be saved

hello i have rebuilt a mgb from the ground up before so im not new to the type of work involed but i am new to the mustang. after watching me rebuild my car and choosing all the parts i wanted my wife decieded that she wanted a car to replace the mustang grande she had as her first car. i told her to wait for the right car to come alone but shes a woman. know we have a 1971 junk heap sitting in the yard and im unsure if it can be rebuilt or how to go about it. most cars rust from the bottom up and all the parts required can be bought new. this car has rusted from the top down and the parts are not available new. i need to replace or rebuild the panel between the front window and the fire wall plus the strucual panel beneath it . i have the same problem with the rear panel between the truck and the rear window plus the structual piece that holds the trunk lid to the panel. the only other bad rust is in the bottom of the drivers side a-post where the hinges connect the door, front of the hood but they do make hoods and a bent front valance my questions are

1/ is rust in this area common ( if its common it makes it harder to find scrap cars with good parts) 2/ from exsperiance do you think that its better to rebuild a car like i discribe rather than buying a diffrent one and using this as a donor 3/ where is the best place to get parts that i require 4/ any one parting out something that would fit

p.s the car is being rebuilt to drive so i can take a few short cuts like borrowing parts from a diffent car etc

Reply to
Pam

Start watching the auto trader on line. Limit your search to California and Az. Watch it every day. Jump on a good rust free car. Then either fly out and drive home, or spend $1500 to put it in a trailer and have it shipped.

Do this and you will be 2 years ahead on your project or 5k bucks ahead if you were going to farm the work out.

You can't afford NOT to buy a good base for your restoratation.

Erich

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

Cowl panels rarely rust, rust in the cowl is generally around the vents only. The panel under the rear window also rarely rusts. If you can find a junkyard '71-73 coupe you it should have good metal for the trunk part, any '71-73 can get you the cowl parts.

I wouldn't have bought that car, it's going to take alot of work to fix those panels right.

For what's wrong you're gonna need used parts. Cept for maybe the hood. And with decent bodywork skills the hood lip rust is generally repairable.

Reply to
Brent P