1990 GT Rotors and Calipers

I have aquestion about rotors and calipers on a 1990 GT. I need to replace my rotors and calipers and I have been told to go with PowerSlot rotors and I have also been told that just going with stock is fine. Does anybody have any insight into this??? Would also like some ideas on calipers, stock or aftermarket???

Thanks Guys

Reply to
goldandjewels

The stock calipers are fine for street use. Cobra upgrades are sweet, but require a swap of hubs/wheels, so maybe a bit too much hassle.

Personally I've found the cheapo reconditioned calipers (AC Cardone) at Kragen to be fine. The best value for money rotors I've found are the standard Brembo rotors at Tire Rack (same as come with the cobra brake kits but smaller), they're not much more money than the cheapo rotors but the quality is in another league. They are also about half the price of the PowerSlot rotors.

The biggest difference you'll feel is with upgraded pads. I'm growing to love the Hawk HPS pads, miles better than stock. Great feel, but at the expense of a little dust.

I guess it depends on budget, just remember that replacing old rotors with new cheap ones can be false economy if you tend to give them a hard time. If you're light on brakes then you'll be fine sticking to the stockers. If you drive like a loon then upgraded pads and rotors will provide additional braking power (pads) and longer life (quality rotor).

Reply to
Chris Stowell

Slotted/drilled/dimpled rotors are for looks only. They actually decrease brake performance over a stock type solid rotor. It's all about surface contact area.

Reply to
.boB

Oh, I have to disagree strongly with this. In theory, that may be true, but the stock Mustang rotors on my '93s were CRAP. The PowerSlots GREATLY improved braking on both of my cars.

The stock rotors warped on TFrog within the first year, and I wasn't exactly driving Watkins Glen.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Think how much better they would be with more surface area.

Reply to
.boB

I think more about heat. As in the voluminous clouds of white smoke coming from my stock rotors.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

None if they get wet.

Reply to
WindsorFox

Pics?? Lord knows you have pics of everything else including a squatting earth pig... LMAO!!

Reply to
WindsorFox

Then something is wrong. I use a stock replacement solid rotor front and rear. I spent the day at the track yesterday; really wailing on those brakes. Hard into turn one from 130 to 60 in about 2-3 car lengths. Over and over, 30 minutes at a time. They smell good, but never smoke.

Brakes work by converting rotational energy into heat energy through friction. Greater friction occurs with increased surface contact area. Cutting slots and drilling holes decreases surface area of the rotor. It's like saying, "I need better brakes, so I'll install smaller rotors." Doesn't make sense.

The original purpose for drilling and slotting rotors had nothing to do with temperature control In the olden days, racing pads would outgass under heavy use. The gas pocket would get trapped under the pad, and prevent contact. The holes and slots were there to allow the gas to escape. Modern brake pads don't outgass, so there's no need for that. Modern replacement rotors are drilled/dimpled/slotted because people like the look, and don't use their brakes enough for it to matter. They're for the ricer and wannabe racer crowd.

Brakes that need extra cooling should have a better vanes, and more air flow into the center of the rotor. That's how cooling occurs.

For more information, look to the FAQ pages of companies like Baer Brakes and Wilwood.

But, if you really think you get better braking with smaller rotors, then one of two things happened. 1. Your brakes were so bad before that almost anything would be an improvement. Or, 2. You've spent all that money on bad decisions, so you'll stick by your guns no matter what, facts be damned.

Reply to
.boB

Touchy subject - we haven't seen that pig in quite a while. We're afraid he wandered into the wrong back yard and was sent to Pig Heaven.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

I don't argue with your logic. And, for all I know, the performance pads made much more difference than the PowerSlots. I only know that I have never had a problem with the PowerSlots in all the years that I've used them, after having the stock rotors trashed two years into owning my '93. And I've never again wondered if I'd be able to stop in time.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

OMG I think you're full of sheepdip.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Awww, that's too bad. I still see my bunny every so often.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

That just means you havn't done your homework.

Reply to
.boB

"BURP" {wiping BBQ sauce off face} sorry about that!

Dave

Reply to
Deputy Dog

Cold.

Eh, plenty more where that one came from. Now I can rent out the duplex underneath my shed.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Um, eew. Somehow eating a gopher seems as repulsive as eating a rat.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

to me an earth pig was or should I say is a Ground Hog, and they are tastey if cooked right. bout 10 times the size of a gopher!

Dave

Reply to
Deputy Dog