1996 cobra bad brake dive

I have 1996 cobra and has pretty bad brake dive when stopping hard or even lightly. I have eibach springs all the way around. Put them on in 1998. Never replaced shocks or struts. Can worn rear shocks cause pronounced brake dive in a mustang? or are worn front struts more of a factor ? Are competition front springs like 800 or more lbs/in the only real way to rid brake dive? I would love to get new springs and shocks/struts but that's way more than I can spend right now. On steeda's website over 500 bucks for struts and shocks. Then over 400 for springs!

thanks dave

Reply to
dave

Yep, that's likely your problem. If you have any kind of significant milage on the car the struts are dead.

Yes, they are dampers, they dampen the movement. While springs do most of the work the struts also dampen the motion. The stock struts are not known to hold up with lowering springs.

My '97 doesn't have objectionable brake dive even in hard stop, and I upgraded the brakes. Springs are stock, bilstein struts.

Odds are your struts need to be replaced anyway, get a good set, there are a few good brands out there (bilsteins, tokios, konis.(yes my spelling sucks)) to choose from. If it doesn't fix the problem you still won't be out anything because it had to be done anyway.

Reply to
Brent P

Yes. The problem is accentuated by the fact that you have stiffer performance springs *without* a heavy duty shock. ANY 1996 Cobra with original shocks in 2003 is due for new shocks, but with performance springs, you wore your shocks out prematurely.

No, get good shocks. Trust me, you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner! ;)

Keep the springs you have, just get a set of Konis (my preference, but most pricey), Bilsteins (excellent shock, still pricey), or Tockicos (good shock, popular, and better price).

If you get adjustable shocks (adjustable rebound) you'll really enjoy them. Mild when you want, turn a knob, and they're wild....then back to mild. You'll need to take a hole saw and drill out some holes in your trunk and put plugs in there to hit the top of the rear shock for adjustment though. Not difficult. Fronts are adjustable with the hood open. For quad shocks--the horizontal ones over your rear axle--you can just get a good set of Monroes and save some cash.

Vic

2kGT 5m blk suspension upgrades
Reply to
Victor DiMichina