2 stupid Q's totally unrelated to each other..

I'm a total newbie to a Mustang and a convertible so please bear with me.

2002 conv. 1st question is do you know that little plastic cover that fits over the slot for the front seat belt in the rear? While wiping down one slipped out and dropped in behind it. Do the speaker covers in the rear just pop out so I can reach in there to get it? The seem pretty tight and don't want to force anything, if need be I'll do without it.

2nd one is, maybe someone can tell me what happens if you continually put the top down with the windows up. I keep forgetting to do it. Maybe if I hear exactly what happens and pricewise to fix it'll make me remember to do it. ;)

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve

Sorry man I just can't help meyself. If you are riding around with your windows up and the top down, then what happens is you look like a geek.

Reply to
DDB

Thanks Kate, I could have sworn I read here at one time someone had a problem with a car they bought, and they said one of the problems was due to not putting the windows down before opening the top but I guess I misread it.. Its a natural reaction to me right now, top down windows next. Its also a natural for me to put top up then windows. *shrug* The visor warning on the mirror (Arrg I hate visor warnings), but it does say in caps to put windows down before lowering and raising top. I know the manufacturers are cautious beyond extremes so wanted to make sure.The warning on the cloth on the bottom part of the visor really bugs me (seat belt warning for kids), I'm gonna break out a hair dryer and see if it'll help take it off without stretching the cloth, maybe like removing the tag from a mattress but I don't care. ;)

Glad to be here, I'm having a ball with this car, feel like a teenager again. Just glad I didn't have one 20 years ago otherwise I probably wouldn't be typing this note. ;)

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Steve,

I don't think I've seen it mentioned here, but I know that one problem with raising the top with the windows up is that on some cars, it's very difficult to get the top closed. The first time I got a Stang 'vert as a rental, I could just about do chin ups on the bar trying to get the top down far enough to work the latch if I left the windows up.

BTW, I'd never driven a vert until this March, when Hertz upgraded me when I was in Grand Rapids. Now I understand what you topless guys are talking about.

take care, Scott

Reply to
Scott Stevenson

Actually its an easy removal on the convertible.

  1. Lift up the rear seat a bit in the front. This will expose two white pins in the middle on both sides that hold the rear seat in place.

  1. Press them in and pull the seat up.

  2. The back top portion of the rear seat has two bolts on the bottom and a hanger on top. Remove the bolts and pull the top rear seat out..

  1. The side panels are held in place by the Christmas tree pull pins. Remove the pull pins and carefully remove the side panel.

Reply to
Richard

Dealer told me that I run the risk of tearing the rubber on the top where it meets the glass. I've finally got the order down to where I don't risk the rubber tearing: windows down, set brake, pull latches, raise top a couple of inches, close latches, put top the rest of the way down, install boot, release brake, then GO!

Reply to
Greg B.

Steve,

if it says to put the windows down first, there is probabaly a reason. The only one I can think of is to relieve the strain on the weatherstrips.

I seldom put mine down with the windows up, so I have not had any problems...

| > 2nd one is, maybe someone can tell me what happens if you continually put | > the top down with the windows up. I keep forgetting to do it. Maybe if I | > hear exactly what happens and pricewise to fix it'll make me remember to | do | > it. ;) | >

| > Thanks, | > Steve | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Tell the dealer to read the owner's guide.....

"Lowering the convertible top

"The convertible top can be lowered with the side windows either up or down."

When closing the top, the manual does say "3. Lower the front and rear side windows." before raising the top.

Regards,

Ed White

"Greg B." wrote:

Reply to