2002 Mustang: CD stuck in Cd-changer...how to get it out?

The car is a 2002 Mustang LX, with a 6-cylinder engine (I'm not sure that matters, but I've seen the oddest options tied to engine size).

This morning I was loading some new CD's into the 6-CD changer when one of them (slot 3) apparently loaded incorrectly, or so it seems. The door did not come down, and if you look inside you can see the CD about a half inch in. Trying to eject the CD gives a "No CD" message on the display (it's apparently not over the sensor). Trying to load a CD (in the hopes that it will cycle the existing CD out in the process) gives a "CD Error" message. In both cases, I hear no noise that would otherwise tell me the CD changer mechanism is trying to do anything.

Is there some kind of manual release that I can use (kind of like sticking a pin or a paperclip into the manual release of a computer's CD drive to open it) to get that CD out, or is this one of those "take it back to the dealer" types of things?

Reply to
ThornyJohn

Yep...take a pin or paperclip and gently lift the edge of the CD...it should slide right out. Alternatively, you can take another cd and slide it just in far enough to lift the edge of the stuck one.

FYI...I don't know what sort of CD got stuck, but don't EVER put a cd-r that you've stuck a label on in there...stick with a sharpie magic marker. Ugly as hell (if you write like i do), but prettier than that "cd error" message.

Wabbitslayer

01 GT vert
Reply to
wabbitslayer

I work on Ford Audio Systems for a living,...........On-lot Service.

The issue you are having is not unusual in *any* of the ford units with the CD-6 radio.

Typically you can take a credit card and a Post-it note and slide the post-it in on top of the cd and press it down with the credit card just enough to adhere, and then slide the cd out pulling on the post-it........................This is not necessarily going to do it, but is one of many ways to "unstick" cd's from the unit.

Typically, if you have this problem, you can just bump the dash after pushing the "load" button and it will setlle in too.

I am likely , in my job , to pull the radio and manually extract the cd/s to avoid damaging the dash or anything else, but that is just aproffessional thing,...............not really necessary...........I can power the radio up in my van ( seperate harness for testing and re-setting) and gat cd's out without much trouble normally.

Yeah, I guess I should say,..........don't try this at home,........If it's under warranty take it to your local dealer and let them take care of this issue.................It's covered. ( 3yr 36K )

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Even the manual warns you not to put cd's with labels on it in the changer. Then again , who reads the manual..:-) Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein