VSS & PCM

Why does the PCM on a 93 5.0/AOD need VSS input? Obviously, it's not using it to send info to the trans for shifting.

Reply to
Jim S.

Jim, I believe the VSS feedback to the PCM is for engine management operation. I agree that it doesn't have any controlling of the AOD trans. But since it is an AC generated signal representing vehicle road speed, I'm sure that info is needed by the PCM when making calculations. Now if it were an A4LD trans used in the 2.3L, that's another story...

-- Mike

93 Cobra
Reply to
Mike R

Ah, that explains the weirdness my motor was doing at idle. I never bothered wiring in the VSS other than to the speedo and cruise control servo.

Thanks! Jim S. '82 Mutant

Reply to
Jim S.