'66 Mustang Carburetion

"winze" wrote in a message:

There are 4 positions on a Ford starter solenoid. 1. cable from the battery

  1. wire from ignition switch to activate solenoid to start car/truck 3. ignition (supplies 12 volts to coil during starting) NOTE: some solenoids don't have this connection 4. cable to starter motor. If you look real close at the connections, for position 2 & 3 they are marked. Position 2 is marked with an S for Starter, and #3 is marked I for ignition. The only place you can get a constant 12 volts from the starter solenoid is at position #1, but that would be hot all the time. So which solenoid are you referring to? It can't be the starter solenoid.

Gary

Reply to
GEB

I used the "I" position.

Reply to
winze

| > There are 4 positions on a Ford starter solenoid. 1. cable from the battery | > 2. wire from ignition switch to activate solenoid to start car/truck 3. | > ignition (supplies 12 volts to coil during starting) NOTE: some solenoids | > don't have this connection 4. cable to starter motor. If you look real | > close at the connections, for position 2 & 3 they are marked. Position 2 is | > marked with an S for Starter, and #3 is marked I for ignition. The only | > place you can get a constant 12 volts from the starter solenoid is at | > position #1, but that would be hot all the time. So which solenoid are you | > referring to? It can't be the starter solenoid. | >

| > Gary | | I used the "I" position.

Me, too. About 20 years ago in a '65 Galaxie.

Reply to
SWG

Well GEB, looks like you've opened your mouth and been proven wrong once again! please spare us the reply or be my puppet and post it anyway.

Reply to
winze

I'm currently using the "I" position for my Ignitor II unit in my '68 Galaxie. Before getting my power from that spot I checked it with my digital multimeter to be sure it actually gave a good 12v with the ignition on. I haven't had any trouble with using that position... I also use it for my electric choke.

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

the carb. does not wear out, but dirt gets into it and that is why it needs to be rebuilt or changed out... i had a 66 mustang 6 cy. 200 cu. in engine, 3 speed and had it since new... it was an easy car to work on.. and parts were pleantiful as most of the parts that you needed could be taken off of older and current mercury comets, ford falcons, etc..... parts were pretty cheap also.... as far as carbs.. a rebuild kit would cost me about $7.59 at the auto parts place.. i would go to the carb. shop where they rebuilt carbs. and the guy would tell me $6.00 when i would pick up my carb... and he would count out the one dollar bills and then hand me 2 of the one dollar bills back... i have a book that i bought back in 1966 or 67 through the sears catalog.. it was titles Fix Your Ford... that was the main book i used to work on my old 66 mustang.... dont know if they still print the book???

Reply to
dbird

On the contrary. The carb does wear out at the butterfy shaft.

Reply to
Mark