66 mustang wiring

I have a 66 mustang 6cyc 200, I can not it it to charge, I put a new battery, alt, vol reg. on and still it will not charge, help. please email snipped-for-privacy@northstate.net

Reply to
tkapsbug

Is the alt light bulb in the dash ok? It won't charge without one.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

did you repaint fender aprons recently? if the regulator and ground straps are attached to freshly painted surfaces they sometime do not ground. do you have the ground strap in place from the engine to the firewall? As you have a 66 you have the 5 dial cluster with a gauge not a lamp. the gauge must be functioning in order to send signal to regulator to turn on alternator full field effect to start charging

Reply to
walt peifer

Gee thanks. I have a 66 and didn't think of that... maybe it's time to start working on the car :) Last monday I tore apart the brake master and got the brakes to sort of kind of work. At least the pedal stopped going to the floor.... now I just need to get the engine to run... :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Have you checked the voltage at the battery with the engine running?? I have two Mustangs that both indicate zero charge/discharge yet both charging circuits are working well!! Both have had their harnesses replaced. In order to cause deflection of the charge/discharge meter there must be approx .1 ohm resistance in the jumper from the alternator to the battery which acts as a meter shunt. The replacement harnesses do not have the built-in resistance so consequently no meter deflection even though the charge system is working fine!! KenG

Reply to
keng2