67 Trans

I am looking to replace my 67's Auto tranny, it is mnot shifting right to second gear. I want to put in a 4 speed trans, does anyone have an idea what I am up against ?

Reply to
John Stendor

You could have it done in an afternoon if you had the parts. The big spring under the dash for the clutch pedal always gave me fits. Take your seat out and wear safety glasses.

4-speed automatic? That's a lot easier.

C8oe

Reply to
W3tac8oe

W3tac8oe, thanks for the info. I have another question, Do I need to replace the flywheel ? I have a 289 that runs great.

I know I need the pressure plate, clutch , bell housing, shifter and the tranny. I may also have to cut the drive shaft.

W3tac8oe wrote:

Reply to
John Stendor

Not sure here about the driveshaft, it comes last find out then. Sure you should stay with the 289. You need the correct balance stick flywheel. Try to get one from another 289 or early 302. Along with the six bolts, the steel plate forward of the fwheel and the starter. An input shaft pilot bushing is needed in the end of the crankshaft, buy anywhere, cheap. About starters: the snout portion is different for A/Ts and M/Ts. Never turn in a Ford M/T starter as a core until you swap the snout with the replacement. The bootleg starters out there seem to be machined wrong and don't fit into the block plate and the parts stores don't seem to care. Has anyone else seen this, or am I just weird?

C8oe

Reply to
W3tac8oe

You are NOT weird. I have experienced this and experienced this and.........

I bought a 66 hardtop from the original owner in 1978. I still own the car. It came with complete service records back to day one. The first starter I bought would not fit into the hole in the plate it was too big. A 6 cylinder starter would fit so I went with that. I did not figure out until many years later that the gear does not stick out far enough on this starter. It was only engaging the ring gear about 3/16 of an inch. I went thru starters and rings gears over the years. (slow learner aren't I?)

I finally decided to sit down and sort it out. I used dial calipers to measure the distance from the mounting plate to the flywheel and to measure the diameter of the hole in the mounting plate. Then I went down to the Ford dealer with my old 6 cylinder starter motor. I asked for a starter for 66 mustang w/ 289. He pulls out a starter and I check it. Yep the gear goes out far enough for good engagement but the diameter is .040 inches bigger than the hole. At this point the counter guy goes in the back and starts bringing out starters for every application. He comes out with one for a 67 Mustang and the snout size is smaller but the length is right on. I snagged it right then and have not needed a new starter since. That was over 10 years ago.

None of this shit is documented and most people never seem to have a problem or mention this issue. I can't explain it, I just know what I had to go through.

Erich

replacement. The

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner