Clutch Cable Woes < Help!

I've done this procedure before (On my old LX) without any problems. Quick and easy... bam, I'm done! I'm talking about changing out the stock plastic quadrant on my '93 Cobra with an aluminum unit and replacing the worn clutch cable. Only this time the clutch cable is inches too long... about 2-3 inches and even after adjusting the nut up as far as it can go the cable still has too much slack. I end up having to shim the nut with a big 'ol nut to make up the difference. And now I'm unable to put the bellhousing cover back on because the cable is so long. I figured the first cable was just defective... that _it_ was the problem. So I contacted 5.0 Resto and they sent me another one. I installed the second cable and it has the same problem as the first cable--it's too long.

What's the problem guys? Are 5.0 Resto's quadrant/cable kits jacked up, or am I doing something wrong this time around? The new quadrant under the dash works nice and smooth, the cable is bolted to the firewall, and the bracket is mounted in the right spot above the sway bar mount, the clip is back on down at the bottom, and the whole cable appears to be routed exactly like the original. Any ideas?

Help!

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick