88 Mustang

My son has a 88 Mustang with 5.0 and 5spd. What happens is that when he shifts into 2nd it acts like it want to stall. It only acts up in 2nd. he read some where about this happens it may be the fuel pump. any help would be appreciated. Also anybody know where to get a good service manual.

Thanks

Reply to
Kevin P. Degan

Watch on ebay and you may find one. Right now there is one for an 89 on there but the 88 had speed-density fuel control and the 89 and later had mass-air. Other then that most of the other stuff is the same. I really don't see why a bad fuel pump would only show up when he shifts to 2nd. I'd be wondering if the Idle Air Valve is bad or the base idle speed screw miss-adjusted. Back the screw out till it doesn't touch the lever, then turn it one quarter turn more then when it just barely touches.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher