88 Mustang GT Help

I have an 88 Mustang GT 5-speed and it is not running right at all. It is like it is overloading. You can smell fuel real bad through the exhaust. When you rev it up really high it will back fire and it is also missing. I've changed the fuel pump which I had to anyway and I've also changed the spark plugs. Can anyone help?

Reply to
plasticnut

did you read the plugs? That will tell you which cylinder if you have a bad valve etc. change rotor cap - do a tune up The fuel pump is inside the gas tank, you changed that out? Why? change the O2 sensors read the codes out don't rev it up over 5500 ever if a daily driver. put in a new coil.

Reply to
Jon

Reply to
plasticnut

Is the check engine light on?

Reply to
Ironrod

Go to your auto parts store and buy a Chilton's or Haynes repair manual for your 88 GT. Those books have pictures of plugs ranging from normal to detonated to rich, to lean, etc. Just compare the plugs from your car with the pictures. That book will also tell you where the O2 sensor is (exhaust manifold). I hope you saved the plugs when you changed them, and know which cylinder they were in. Also, did you gap the new plugs?

There is also a troubleshooting section in the back that gives suggestions for symptoms. Dave

Reply to
nospam