97 Cobra Low Beam Problem

Hello All, I have a 97 Cobra that has had Low beam trouble before and as of today they stopped working altogether. All other lights work but the fogs and the low beams. I have replaced all bulbs as well as the switch. Also, all fuses are fine. Is there a relay under the hood for this? Any ideas?

Help!

Reply to
ThatNormalGuy

corroded wire/contact somewhere I'll guess. start at the plugs to the bulbs.

Reply to
Brent P

Not sure about the '97s, but the fogs are tied to the low beams (thats why your fogs cant be on unless the low beams are on). Im pretty sure theres some kind of ballast control in there, its a little black box if I remember right. Could be wrong though, havent looked at older mustangs in a while.

Reply to
japhar81

if its his lows and fogs, it wouldnt be at the bulb plugs, more likely between the fusebox and switch i would think?

Reply to
japhar81

I'd hardly consider a 97 Cobra an "older" Mustang :P.

-Mike

-- Melt away the Cellulite with Cellulean!

<memset

Two body redesigns and one complete chassis and body overhaul later, it's getting to the "older" point. It is 8 years old already. :-)

My '97 Cobra has 62k on the clock already. Where do the miles go?

JS

Reply to
JS

Check the turn signal switch. A.K.A. multifunction switch. These are known to go bad, and the wiring for the headlight relays run right through them. I had one die in an '88 GT once and I ended up breaking the switch in momentary high-beam mode (bad - had to unplug the battery to turn the lights off), and the switch in my Cobra doesn't let the right turn signal work half of the time... I have a '97 as well.

JS

Reply to
JS
*Cries*

-Mike

-- Melt away the Cellulite with Cellulean!

<memset

Sorry mike... i tried to let it go and not say anything..

its still a nice ride...

Reply to
<japhar81>

I still love my 98 GT. I still don't consider it "older" yet. Maybe in another 5 or so years it'll start to seem old. "Older" to me makes me think of mid-late 60's :P.

-Mike

-- Melt away the Cellulite with Cellulean!

<memset

Funny thing is, i never liked the old body style, but lately, its growing on me (5 years too late:/)

Reply to
<japhar81>

Ford doesn't use headlamp relays. All the power goes through the light switch.

Just in case it helps, I uploaded the wiring diagram:

Right turn signal function is dying on my '97. I don't have the momentary hold anymore, actually have to click it on.

Reply to
Brent P

I figured as much, I have the diagram in the Haynes manual. I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend Sat. tracing every wire in my Cobra. But such is Ford Electrical Gremlins. Thanx for all of the input.

Reply to
ThatNormalGuy

I figured they'd started by '97. Still not sure why they don't. My mistake... and theirs.. lol.

Mine started that way, but when it got cold out, it would barely work on the full click. Now that it's warmer out, it's better again, but I still don't have the momentary right turn thing either...

Scary. Sounds like when I needed a crank pulley for my '95 Eclipse GSX. I was surprised to find a dealer had one in stock, let alone three dealers had them. The low bidder won, and he said "I sell three or four of these a week."

JS

Reply to
JS

Because they are cheap. I put in relays and heavy gauge wiring myself. Big difference compared to the aging thin wire going through the switch.

Reply to
Brent P

lmfao its the switch that fails or burns foctard

lmfao U GO GIRL

hurc ast

Reply to
sanfordm44356

Your displaying an obvious mental problem. You should have that checked out.

Reply to
Brent P

lmfao u go girl

hurc ast