low beam headlights don't work on a VW Passat '93

I have a VW Passat '93 and the low beam lights have stopped working. The fog lights still work, as do the full beam. Is this likely to be an electrical problem or can I just try replacing the bulbs? I believe I need H4 bulbs. Is it worth a shot?

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
spunkyjon

It is likely worth buying a $5.00 multimeter so you can check if there is voltage at the bulbs when on low beam before forking out for new bulbs.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

If the vehicle has low beam DRLs my money would be on bulbs, I have heard complaints of short bulb life on VWs so equipped.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Simply removing one bulb and looking at it should tell you whether or not its working. If it is, my money is on the DRL setup. I assume you've checked the fuses?

Ulf

Reply to
Ulf

"spunkyjon" wrote: ('93 VW Passat)

The low beam lights have stopped working. The fog lights still work, as do the full beam. I believe it uses H4 bulbs. Is this likely to be an electrical problem or can I just try replacing the bulbs? ___________________________________

It is not likely that two bulbs would burn out simultaneously. The problem is more likely to be a defective switch, relay, or fuse.

Good luck.

Reply to
Rodan
2 bulbs are likely to burn out almost simultaneously. they last a certain number of hours. the number of hour would be identical for these 2 bulbs. my money is on burnt out bulbs
Reply to
boxing