any opinions on 2001 cobra ? might buy one.

I guess I am going to totally forget about new machs or cobras and look at '01 I can get 8k mile, zinc or 12,500 mile black ..both hardtops for around $20-21k...

any opinions on these ?

dave

Reply to
DaveZ

Dave, why get an '01 when you can get an '03? If I had $20,000+ to buy a car, I'd definitely go for a new Cobra. :-p

Reply to
C. Olofsson

I'd make sure to get a 2003 Cobra w/out cylinder head probs if you DO get a '03 Cobra. If you don't wanna dish out the extra $$ (I don't blame you.. thousands extra is a lot ;/) then '01 would be good too I imagine. I've test driven a '01 GT 5-speed manual, but not a Cobra... just 98 Cobra & it was a monster. Your choice... I don't think the insurance difference would be too great from 03 & 01... if you can afford & don't mind paying extra I'd get the 03 Cobra. Just my 2 cents.

-Mike

Reply to
memsetpc

cindy.. I am looking at $20k versus $30k financed.. which is about 160-175 / month difference 320 to 530 difference monthly. .. plus the '03 is

100/month in insurance. new car, 26 rating on ins.. Yikes!

I dunno... I do have my heart set on an '03... damn me for not having enough to put down and make payments lower. I wasn't planning on buying a new Cobra this year but the rebates are so good on either the mach or cobra

dave

Reply to
davez

I wouldn't know what to do either. :-)

Reply to
C. Olofsson

I've been watching your threads and various posts on prices for these newer Mustangs. Are you just walking in and seeing these prices?

I ask for the following reason: I'm a youngin coming in at 20... Last time I stopped by a dealership to take a look the sales rep told me he wouldn't even run numbers on a newer Mustang for me!!! Everything (New GTs, slightly used GTs) were ringing in at about $27k - $32k. I was pretty shocked at the high prices and his absolute denial in being able to budge on the prices. When it came down to it I was ready to throw down $5000 as a down payment (I don't have much experience buying new cars but I thought $5000 would be a decent down payment) he REFUSED to attempt to find me financing. I have shallow credit (being young) but my score is/was 750 something. I must be an inexperienced dolt.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Budwill

If you are unde 21 you will not get financing without a co-signer.

Reply to
Kuta

andy

I have checked prices by..

- walking in and getting a best price if I "bought now"..

- looking on Ford.com at dealer inventories

- autotrader.com oodles and oodles of cars..

- newspaper listings online and in print

there are boatloads of new '03 cars and slightly used '03s.. I realize now I don't have to buy the first car I see. ..mainly because they aren't selling...I have seen the same cars advertised for three weeks now...The Internet has opened up many more possibilities and I then play those prices against others. I was quoted a price of $21,600 on a new premium Sonic Blue GT here in town ....... $25000 on blue and grey mach 1s.... and 30k on new Cobras. (All after rebates) I have found the dealers ~less willing~ to deal on Cobras even when they know the rebates on them have been extended as well. I tell them I can buy a new '03 cobra for $30k and they are still unwilling to move on 29K prices for their used ones with 15k miles. Idiots. They will end up sitting on them through the winter with that attitude because I surely won't buy a cobra unless it is in the next couple weeks. Not fun to pay on a brand new / used car sitting in the garage because of winter. Your biggest hurdle is the age thing. You should try to get preapproved at your bank/credit union before you even go in. Once they learn you are preapproved, they will stumble over each other trying to sell you a car... all except for the cobras though. They treat these cars as their little goldmines apparently. I told a guy this morning who responded to one of my

10 autotrader quote requests, that his price was right amongst a few and higher than most of the 10 other cars I was checking in to and I would possibly consider his car. His response was.. "there aren't many blue cobras..and this one is super clean with 1700 miles" and I say....well they are all clean and I have 4 blues ones to choose from.. and they alll have the same miles.. He came back by saying he would drop the price to 29800 from 30800. I explained there was no reason for me to call him back because I am turning down local cars at 30500 which are new, with full warrantys. I am trying to find a cobra around 25-28k

have fun.. once you get preapproved, play the sh#t out of them.. don't waste their time either. Get a quote and if it isnt remotely close to what you are wanting to spend, tell them so and move on. Most of these sales folks are honest, hard working folks like the rest of us trying to make their next buck...

dave

Reply to
davez

Just make sure the one you buy doesn't ping...

Reply to
Scott in Aztlan