AOD or A4LD

1989 5.0 GT Convertible VIN: 1FABP45E6KF175956 DOOR TAG:66B R 111 GG 9 M TQQTT

Bill

Stupid question for you or anyone else: How do I tell if my vert has the AOD or the A4LD transmission?

Thanks

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Your car (V8) will have the AOD, the A4LD was placed in the 4 cylinder cars.

TIM -aka- snipped-for-privacy@AOL.COM

Musttanguy

cylinder cars.

Thanks Tim..Thats what I was afraid of. The A4LD has bands that I could tighten to maybe solve my slipping problem in high gears. This means I probably have to spend the 2k on a new tranny. Frig!

Next question group, If I am planning on putting in a shift-kit, new gears, and now I have to put in a new tranny..is there any reason not to swith from an automatic to a manual instead?

Thanks for the input!

Matt

Reply to
Matt

It depends on what you want to do with the car and what you want to spend. If you really have to have a manual, then nothing else will do. If you're going to drag race, automatics are generally more consistent as they don't miss... well, if they do, they probably won't ever hit the gear. While the trans is out, you could have it rebuilt to be a full-manual, reverse valvebody, transbrake-equipped beast... basically making it a clutchless

4-speed. It'll cost you a chunk of change to convert to a stick, but it can be done. You'll have to scavenge all of the parts from a 5-speed car... bellhousing, transmission, crossmember, cable, cable cover on bellhousing, pedal assembly w/ quadrant, console trim plate, boot, oil seal, shifter, handle, knob, flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch fork.. Basically, finding a wrecked car is easiest. 4-cylinder cars can be used to source the interior trim, shifter, oil seal, boot, and pedal assembly, but the rest is 4-cylinder specific.

So... it's all in what you want to do. It's gonna cost any which way you go.

JS

Reply to
JS