Blinkers

Hi..

1987 LX, blinkers (aka - directionals) won't... well... blink!! :)

Replace the flasher, twice. Once with a standard replacement and once with a heavy duty (just because we had one kicking around). Took working flasher from my 1982 GLX and stuck it in, still no go. The emergency flashers do work, however. All bulbs are ok and come on... they just won't blink when you use the directionals?!?!

Any ideas?

-= Francis Yarra =- fyarraATjunoDOTcom

- My drywall website
- My C64 website
- My personal website

Reply to
Nospam9212

Sounds like the multifunction switch is dirty. My '88 did the same thing. I took it apart and used a pencil eraser to clean the contacts. It's been working fine for the past 3 years. You can probably do a google search and get a more in-depth answer.

Good luck, Gary '88 blinketty-blinkin' GT

Reply to
Gary Nichols

You are aware that there are two flasher units. One for the turn signals and the other for the hazard (emergency) lights?

Reply to
Richard

I am now!! :)

Truth be known.. this is actually my wife's car.. She's trying to get to know how to do small repairs herself. Not a bad thing. She bought herself some books, ran thru some troubleshooting and came up with the conclusion that everything should work, as it stands. I just offered her a different flasher as a test. I'll suggest she look for a second flasher and try that. I'd really like to see her fix this without my intervention.

-= Francis Yarra =- fyarraATjunoDOTcom

- My drywall website
- My C64 website
- My personal website

Reply to
Nospam9212

Gary,

Would this hold true even if all the directionals came on (the bulbs light up) but they didn't flash?

There was an short-lived problem with the wipers not working, too but that came and went.

hmmm...

-= Francis Yarra =- fyarraATjunoDOTcom

- My drywall website
- My C64 website
- My personal website

Reply to
Nospam9212

Hmm, that really does sound like the flasher, but if you tried a known good flasher and it still didn't work, maybe there's some corrosion or a bad wire between the multi-function switch and the flasher?

That's a whole 'nother switch, but since it's wires are in the same bundle running up the steering column as the multi-function switch, maybe it's indicative of a bad wire or two in the harness?

The mystery continues, I guess. Grasping at straws here. :)

Reply to
Garth Almgren

but they didn't flash?

It just might. My hazards worked but turn signals didn't and the cleaning fixed the problem. Try the easy stuff like the other flasher first.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Nichols