Not All Quadrants Are Made The Same

You'd think a design like these aftermarket aluminum clutch quadrants would be a pretty simple to follow. However, I found out this isn't the case for some companies. Here's my story.

Recently I purchased an aluminum quadrant and new clutch cable from

5.0resto. The installation was a snap. Until it came time to adjust the cable, and put the metal cover back on the bellhousing. I ended up having to shim the adjustment nut, and the damn clutch cable was about three inches too long, so I couldn't fit the metal cover back on. After talking to the 5.0 Resto people about the problem, I was convinced the new clutch cable was the culprit. So 5.0resto sends me another cable. I install the new cable, but end up with the same results. 5.0 resto assures me their cables/quadrants are quality units... that they haven't had any complaints and have had no problems using them on their own cars. Knowing my install job was spot on, I picked up the phone and ordered another quadrant/cable from Steeda. (I went with Steeda because I had installed their quadrant/cable on my old LX without any problems.) When Steeda's quadrant/cable show up, I rip out 5.0resto's combo. I compare the two companies cables and I find they're both the same length. Next, I compare the aluminum quadrants and find a BIG difference. The difference in the circumferences of the two quadrants was the amount the 5.0retro's cable was too long. Looking at them both sideways, 5.0resto's quadrant is about a 90 degree angle and Steeda's is about 130 degrees. And this degree difference in the quadrants was the reason why 5.0resto's cable was "too long".

Moral of the story. If your replacement clutch cable is "too long", you need to replace your replacement aluminum clutch quadrant.

Next to final note: The factory quadrant is total shit. Replace it as soon as you can.

Final note: This story isn't to slam 5.0 resto. They were very cooperative (they refunded my money & paid for shipping), and everything else I've purchased from them has been of the HIGHEST quality. So do not hesitate to buy from them.

Patrick '93 Cobra Mustang

Reply to
Patrick

For some reason, my earlier post doesnt show up on my news server at home. Well at any rate, this is what I had to say about the quadrant:

The 90 degree quadrant you got from 5.0 Resto appears to have been a quadrant designed for use with a firewall adjuster. I have had a standard quadrant with adjustable cable (BBK) and have used a firewall adjuster and firewall adjuster quadrant with the stock cable and understand the shape you are describing. If you had purchased the firewall adjuster it would have fit. I dont know why 5.0 Resto did not catch that.

Best setup is a firewall adjuster, firewall adjuster quadrant (90 degree) and a stock cable. The adjustable cables made today seem to have too many problems. That is why I switched. I had a BBK quadrant and adjustable cable I used for 6-7 years and almost 100k miles. The cable finally broke. The replacement cables I purchased sucked. One was very stiff that required relubing once a month, the other pretty much seized up and one stretched. I purchased a firewall adjuster and quadrant and a stock Ford cable from Summit and couldnt be happier.

Casey

Reply to
David C. Johnson
** purchased a firewall adjuster and quadrant and a stock Ford cable from ** Summit and couldnt be happier.

Now THAT'S information I can use. Thanks!

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

The best setup is a hydraulic clutch system. Why Ford hasn't put one in the Mustang is beyond me. They just keep making the clutch diameter larger and the pressure plate spring pressure barely tolerable in traffic. It isn't bad for driving, but if you have to sit in stop and go traffic in a V8 Mustang it sucks big time.

AnthonyS

Reply to
Anthony S

The stock cable set up was soft and mushy compared to an older (early 70s late 60s) car. The steeda quadrant and cable I put in changed that of course.

Reply to
Brent P

Actually, it has gotten better on the GT. The one that was my old 95GT was way heavier than the clutch on the GT's sold today. Ofcourse the clutch on the 03 Cobra is a different story........

Rein
** If you do buy a stock Ford cable, order the HD clutch linkage kit from ** Summit or Jegs. It is around $60 and comes with a new clutch fork and a new ** Ford cable. I didnt need the clutch fork so I sold it on Ebay for $20. If ** you buy the cable by itself it will cost about $150+. Then you can buy one ** of the firewall adjusters and firewall adjuster quadrant (the Steeda ** quadrant works well since it has 2 hooks for the cable - 1 for stock cable ** and 1 for adjustable cable). ** ** Its a great setup. ** ** Casey

Will do - thanks!

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams
** The best setup is a hydraulic clutch system. Why Ford hasn't put one in the ** Mustang is beyond me. They just keep making the clutch diameter larger and ** the pressure plate spring pressure barely tolerable in traffic. It isn't ** bad for driving, but if you have to sit in stop and go traffic in a V8 ** Mustang it sucks big time. ** ** AnthonyS

Your wish will be granted in the '05 GT model. Save your nickles.

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

I hope not! I don't like hydraulic clutches at all. One reason the clutch is heavy is becuse Ford does not use a pressure plate with flyweights to add clamping force, the springs do all the work. If the next SVT Mustang, not sure if it will be called a Cobra or not, has a hydraulic clutch then I'm keeping my '03.

Reply to
WraithCobra

I don't really like the idea of a hydraulic clutch either. And Mike... that

03 Cobra is *sweet*.. why would you get rid of it for an 05? I mean.. it's only 2 years old by then ;D. That's one bad f*cking car ;D. I'd *kill* for an 03 Cobra.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

The only company using weights to add force that I know of is Centerforce. Most just use spring pressure. And the reason Mustang clutches are so heavy is because they use a cable system with very little mechanical advantage.

AnthonyS

Reply to
Anthony S

You'd change your mind in a heartbeat if you ever spent an afternoon stuck in the Tacoma Narrows bridge traffic jam.

AnthonyS

Reply to
Anthony S

The heaviest clutch I've driven in a passenger car thus far was a stock Thunderbird Super Coupe - hydraulic and all. It was heavier than my stock Mustangs, or a King Cobra. Maybe there was just a problem with it... I don't know... but it seemed to work just fine.

JS

Reply to
JS

haha yeah probably ;)

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

If it was that heavy something was wrong. My wife owned one of those when we got married but it was an automatic.

Centerforce.

Reply to
Anthony S

I guarantee it. I used to curse my '97 Cobra when I got stuck in stop and go 5 mph traffic around here. It's inevitable unless you just stay home all the time, which I don't.

My next 5 vehicles all had hydraulic clutches..... and now I'm driving Matt's '92 GT regularly (my friend). Trust me, hydraulic is where its at. I'm just gonna put a 5.0 in my OT car though which already has a hydraulic clutch instead ;-).

AnthonyS

Reply to
Anthony S

Eh, like I said, could have been something wrong with it, but clutch operation was great. Never slipped when I didn't want it to and released completely, short of having it on the floor. Caught about in the middle of the pedal travel, perhaps a little lower than middle.

It was a heavy SOB though.

I kinda miss that car...

JS

Reply to
JS

Very cool :)

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

yep, my left knee is shot from 8 years of mustang daily driving

Reply to
Christopher Shea

I like the new body style. I also hope the SVT Mustang for '06 will be around 475 - 500 horse, and handle better than the 2000R on this new chassis. I'll see if I want to keep and mod the '03 or trade up to the '06 when the time comes.

Reply to
WraithCobra