Dragging clutch?

'95 VR6 Passat

The often noted 2nd gear crashing has become notably worse lately ( only 117,000 miles), but only on some days...others it is just fine, no crashing. On the bad days, even when I make sure there is no floor mat or anything under the pedal, and I take my time to be sure the pedal is all the way down, I just can't keep it from happening.

The other thing that has started happening is the first time I engage the clutch in the morning, it is a harsh engaement....from then on it feels normal.

Is my clutch dragging, and if so why? What's the fix? a new clutch (ugh$$)

Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1962 Lark Daytona Convertible (Boomerang) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk) 1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley)
Reply to
Ron /Champ 6

Does it engage real close to the floor? Is the clutch hydraulic? I don't know Passats real well but I know Michele's Corrado exhibited those symptoms when the clutch hydraulics failed. A new master and slave cylinder, and a couple hours wrench time and she was back on the road.

As an aside, the clutch still engaged closer to the floor than I liked, it turns out that a PO had replaced a blowed up tranny and done a half fast job. He put a good used tranny in, yes, and a new clutch disc too but it only lasted 3-4 years because apparently the flywheel wasn't machined and there's something about the weird VW clutch that requires that certain mounting points for the clutch assembly be machined when the flywheel is turned and/or worn. She got a new flywheel with the new clutch she bought and now everything is finally copacetic.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

It sounds like.................... Possibly you need a new clutch slave cylinder. I think it costs maybe $120 or so and might take you an hour to do including bleeding time. Just one Hydraulic fitting, that you don't want to tear up, and two bolts.

I just did this to a 93 Passat VR6 and it made a world of difference!! later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

Yup, close to the floor, and it is hydraulic. I'm hoping that's it.

My concern is that up until the last 9 months, this was Jane's driver, and I've had a hell of a time trying to brake here of holding the car on a hill with the clutch....I expect the life of it is substantially less than it should have been, and have heard of worn clutches doing weird things.... Any definitive way to check the hydraulics?

Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1962 Lark Daytona Convertible (Boomerang) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk) 1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley)
Reply to
Ron /Champ 6

That's what I'm hoping ( see response to N8's post) Anyway to definitive check the hydraulics?