Cobra

So was I !!

Kate

| > When I have a little time, if you remind me, I'll post it on my website. | >

| > For now.. I have a new baby to go play with. | >

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

"> > > What's wrong with a '96 GTS? :-)

I can understand that. The '96 is a great car. Still get good enough gas mileage to make a 300 mile road trip, ride isn't THAT stiff, and it can stomp the ricers stoplight to stoplight. :-p My problem with the car is that it doesn't feel as solid as it did four years ago, could be because the suspension has been modified. I really need those subframes! It creaks and rattles, which drives me crazy! And my stereo system sounds like shit above volume level 15 'cause the bass rattles the trunk something terrible. :-( Not sure how to fix that, but I'm sure it'd be the same with ANY Mustang. AND...I'm just growing out of it now. I NEED more power! I could head swap the '96, change the gears...but I'd rather have a newer car. I think... I will probably change my mind tomorrow, though. ;-)

I know. And I DO love my car! Every time I drive it I have a smile on my face, but I can't help but think that smile would be even bigger sitting inside a Cobra. ;-)

Never heard of it. Where did you buy it? Price?

Also allows for an input, and with there

Still nice to have. :-)

It's in

How do the MTX's sound? Hit pretty hard?

distribution

Hell yea! Waiting is the hardest part. I waited almost a year to gather all my equipment before installation. It's torture.

I have the Mach 460 so I'll probably need both

Can't you bypass that? Or do you not want to for some reason?

I'm great with wiring and tuning, I suck at the actual

That is difficult. I didn't know a darn thing about the amprack and subwoofer enclosure construction, but it turned out okay.

I don't want to do something that'll permanently

Try and build your own. It's not THAT hard, and really is fun to do.

If you have the time and patience, try it yourself. I paid for the amp/sub install and wanted to pay for amprack/sub box install, but the $350 was money better spent on something else.

Well, you know the trunk liner? We took that out, cut a board the same size, and MADE it fit in the trunk. Then we bolted the amps to it towards the rear of the trunk (against rear seats). The dual 12" enclosure is held in place with wooden brackets at all four corners. There is nothing, however, stopping it from jumping up over bumps. It's a crude rack, but effective. There is one concern I have with it, and that is it isn't secured to the body of the car. The rack won't budge. But I thought the sub box should be bolted to the body of the car. Doesn't that supposedly make for better sound?

Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS

C. Olofsson

Why not go for a turbo kit ;0) There's a few companies out there now... I know I definitely want one !

Reply to
RioRedGT

Sound like you have the same problems I have. At this moment I have so many options that I really don't know what to do. Today I was gettnig my locks changed in my '97 Cobra (after someone stole the keys and subsequently the car) and was at an SVT dealership drooling over the '03 Cobras.

I have an '88 LX in excellent shape, an '85 GT with a great body and still running (CFI cars were dogs anyway), enough stuff to convert the '85 GT to

1990 GT drivetrain specifications and beyond, and an '89 Probe GT Turbo 5-speed for a winter beast. My friend *really* wants my LX, I want to make a race car out of something, the LX is pristine for its age. I have so many options on trade him this or that, sell him that and make the GT a race car, etc. On top of that, I don't have the cash to actually do it... so what do I do with all of these cars? Decisions, decisions...

The smile is large, yes. Keeping out of the throttle is rough though. The car feels like you're just lollygagging around when you're really doing 100.

upgradeable.

It's a discontinued thing... finding one now would be quite difficult.

has some informaiton on them though if you're interestedin checking the thing out and seeing what some of the enthusaists have done.It's an actual PC that runs Linux so people have modified the operatingsystem, people have modified the faces to change the color of the display,make the buttons clear with LEDs behind them, etc. It was originallyselling for about $1000 when it was still in production. I got mine oncloseout for $340 or so. I'm looking to get two 50GB laptop hard drives toput in it to multiply my music capacity by 10. ;-)

Yes, it definately is.. for when you need to hear the traffic or when someone brings a CD in. They do sell a tuner module. Those, too, were discontinued, but I believe someone's making them on the side now.

They're cheap Thunder4000 subs from probably 5 years ago. They really do a good job in a hatchback, I know that much. With the Clarion driving them in a '88 GT I had, it would make enough noise to fully drop the rearview mirror in two short hits, easily. They're in a sealed box... I've never had anything else, but it's more than enough bass for me, and supposedly a sealed box gives cleaner sound than a ported one.

The stuff I have laying around is actually out of a couple of different cars. The '88 GT had the two Kicker amps and a spot for the Rio. The fronts were Kicker 3.5" 2-way coaxials, the doors were Kicker 6" round 2-way coaxials, and the rears were Clarion 5x7 3-way coaxials. The '85 GT had the same fronts and rears, no door speakers, the MTX amp, a spot for the Rio (it's a pull-out and I have two docking sleds for it), and I'd pull the subs out and put them in that car if I was going to drive it for a while. Now that I sold the '88 and don't drive the '85, I have lots of stuff that's expendable.

I'm going to bypass the stock amps and run my own, and new speakers to go with it. It'll sound a whole lot better and I'll have the ability to tune it to max. I have access to a four-channel oscilloscope and with the Rio having computer-format audio playback capabilities (wav, MP3, etc), I can create a file to generate sine waves and properly tune the system. I think it would be fun and would *definately* be loud, with 8 amplified channels plus a pair of 12's....

I don't have the tools to do that either, so it would cost a bunch more. I have a lot of wrenching tools, but only very basic tools for cutting and constructing something out of wood.

Another thing I need to set time back for. *sigh* I think I need a 48 hour day instead of a 24 hour day. ;-)

Yeah, that's why I don't have it in yet. I don't really want to spend the money, and I don't really have the time. I do have some patience, but I'm just not good at some things. I can sling a wrench with the best of 'em but bodywork is beyond my reach. I can build electronics to do anything you want, but I don't know where to mount them. :-)

Interesting. I'll have to look at my car again in the morning and see what I can think about.

As for bolting them down, I really don't know. Mine have always just kinda laid in the trunk/hatch. It would probably help reduce some noise and perhaps make the sound a little cleaner though if you think about it some.

Thanks for your assistance/encouragement. Now it's just going to do it. :-)

JS

Reply to
JS

I might sell my 98 Cobra in January 2004. It's a black coupe, bone stock, old man driven, new Michelin Pilots, 60,000 miles. Pretty much perfect. Needs to have the front bumper repainted due to bug guts eating thru the paint. How much do you suppose it's worth?

mort

Reply to
Mort Guffman

With needing to have the front bumper repainted, I'd say anywhere from $13-15K depending on the severity of paint damage and the condition of the rest of the car, plus whatever area you're in.

Mike just found one for around $15K with about the same amount of mileage if I remember correctly. I bought my '97 snake last year with 24,000 miles on it for $17K. I'm in the SW PA area.

JS

Reply to
JS

Mileage on the one I found (and am hopefully buying _soon_) has 37k miles. It's listed at close to 17k though. I think $13-$15K is a good estimate by JS. If you have any pictures I'd love to see them.

-Mike

Reply to
memsetpc

They are awesome. I've seen a few around here on the streets, and they look even hotter than on the showroom floor. I'd consider one, but I just don't know if I could live with the boxy--uh, what am I saying? Of COURSE I could LIVE with it! LOL *slapping self in face*

I have one question: where do you park all those cars? ;-)

My friend *really* wants my LX, I want to make

Sell two of 'em, put that cash on the '03 Cobra and modify the heck out of the '97 or Fox. ;-)

Oh...be quiet! You're not helping. ;-)

That thing is awesome! Thanks for the link.

And I thought my Alpine CDA-7995 was cool. ;-) Wow... To be honest, though, I can barely come up with enough songs to fill a 100+ MP3 disk. LOL!

Sounds like pretty complicated stuff. It'd be cool to see it all in motion.

Don't they shake the heck out of the hatch?

With the Clarion driving them in

Is the mirror held on by Scotch tape or...? LOL!

They're in a sealed box... I've never had

That is correct. Sealed is better in every respect. But if you want BOOM, go ported. I'm thinking about building a ported box and fill it with some cheaper Alpine's for when I'm in that sort of mood.

Oh, so you've already sold the '88? I thought you...I'm confused. :-|

What is an oscilloscope? I could look it up, but it's after 11 pm. ;-)

and with the Rio

I doubt you'll be able to use this setup to its fullest potential, though. I hardly use the power I have, and when I do turn it up, it gives me a headache! LOL Gawd, I'm getting old... :-)

Nor did we. We only bought a crude electric saw and drill, glue, silicone, sand paper, screws and MDF sheet. We TRIED (I can't emphasize this enough) to cut the boards ourselves, but that didn't work very well. LOL! The lines were NOT straight. So we took the boards to a cabinet shop, and he cut them for FREE! Great guy. They were much straighter than we ever could have cut them. Then we just assembled them, using instructions from a book and some internet sites. As for box specs, we tried to make them as close to Alpine's as possible, while still being able to fit the box in the trunk. There was no way to set it in there standing up, so the subs are firing upwards. I don't know how it would sound otherwise, but it's pretty good for what it is. Needless to say, my trunk is useless now. :-p I

Well, there you go! You can do it! :-)) You won't regret it. Just find a shop to cut the boards to specs, and assemble everything. Much easier that way and will probably save you money in the long run. But you might be very good at cutting the boards, too, you never know. We spent less on materials and tools than having a box custom built would have cost us.

Couldn't agree more. :-)

You couldn't be more inept than I at wood working. ;-)

I can sling a wrench with the best of 'em but

LOL! You sound like my husband. ;-)

You could bolt the box to the trunk, but the gas tank is underneath. That's why I didn't want to mess with it. For a rack, if you just want the stuff installed, get a simple board, cover it with carpet and there you go! I did cover the trunk board with black carpet. Looks pretty good, too.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. The box would become a part of the car, in a way. Sound might travel better that way.

Well, good luck! It really is fun. But time is always an enemy. :-)

Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS

C. Olofsson

Yeah, it was hard to not trade my '97 in on one right there. I also get the X-plan, and the salesdrone seemed to think that it also applies to SVT vehicles. If I would have asked him for a monthly payment quote I know I would have walked off the lot with a much newer Cobra. *sigh* I restrained myself though. I have a lot of other projects going on at this moment that I'm going to need some cash for. They may turn out to be lucrative enough to pay for an '04 Cobra.

The '88 LX, '97 Cobra, and '89 Probe alternate turns on the front street. I have a large, one way street and the neighbors across the street have off-street parking, so I get a few extra spaces. Currently only the Cobra is here. The Probe is lent to my cousin for repairs (and because he needs a car for the moment), and the LX is at my friends house about 20 miles from me. He has a huge field and three garages, so I keep a lot of stuff there.

Currently hanging out at his place are:

'66 Falcon - his '83 GLX-turned-GT convertible - his '86 Capri 5.0 - I hold the title but we traded for parts, so it's his '88 Cougar 5.0 - still waiting for some idiot to give me the title - mine '90 LX 5.0 convertible - mine (parts) '83 Capri 5.0 - mine (parts) '85 Mustang GT - mine '88 LX 5.0 notch - mine '97 Crown Vic ex-patrol car - his '87 Buick - his winter beater '93 F-250 4.9L 5-speed - his

There's probably another one I'm forgetting. ;-) Needless to say, we do some heavy wrenching there. We have a few 5.0's and a few T-5's just lounging around in various states of functionality. He also has another garage down by me with two more '66 Falcons.

The only way I could swing a new Cobra is to get rid of my current Cobra.... and maybe not eat as well as I do now. :-) I wouldn't have the gas money to drive the thing, nor modify any of the Foxes. I think that's why I didn't pick it up.

Sorry. Maybe I'm a bad influence and I'm trying to get you into a new snake? ;-)

Thanks. They do have forums there and occasionally there's one for sale, if you wanna pay the price for it.

Well, what you do is rip *every* CD you own down to the thing. You can sort the music into playlists, and if you're listening to a playlist and you're in the mood for something else, just hit the search button on the remote and you can search by song name, artist, album name, genre, year it was made, or a PIN that you assigned to that particular song. You have to set most of that up, but if you're ripping with a CDDB-capable ripper, it's filled in for you. Then you don't ever have to lug around a book of CDs, and everything you own is at your fingertips. :-) You can put your favorite songs in one playlist and put 'em on random play. With the hacked kernel, you can play random in a few different modes, including true random, random by least often played, and random by least recently played.

The hacked kernel also included a small calculator for when you just have to figure out your gas mileage. ;-)

If I lived anywhere near you, I'd take it out and show you when it's all said and done, but being on the other end of the country kinda makes that rough. ;-) It is wild to see a complete install though.

It wasn't very obvious *inside* the car. It rattles the car on the outside, but I didn't really care about that. If I couldn't hear it inside, I didn't bother. The wing made for a nice vibrating seat though. ;-)

I meant drop as in I'd be driving around, turn the music up, and I'd look in the mirror to see behind me to find I was looking at my shirt. :-P

I never had a problem getting BOOM out of my 12's, even at only 300W total (150W/sub). I try to keep my music balanced so it's all at the proper volume and not with a over-amplified bass line, so I usually can't turn it up loud enough to need more sub because the rest of the music is already loud. I switch off between alternative, rap, classic rock, hip-hop, the occasional off the wall song... so I need a flexible system to sound good regardless. There's always the loudness switch if you need more bass when tryin to one-up the ricers with their systems. ;-)

No, I sold an '88 GT (more like traded it for my current '90 convertible parts car). I still have the '88 notchback.

I know, it gets confusing to me too. ;-)

It's a device to visually inspect and measure an AC waveform, which is what makes up music. With the scope, you input a pure sine wave into the inputs of the amplifiers and full volume (0dB, though the Rio will overdrive to

+5dB, I disabled that option). Then, you adjust the gains of the amplifiers until the tops of the sine wave start to get a little jagged or fuzzy. You're now at the limit of distortion. Test with a few frequencies to ensure that you're there across the board, and then you *never* turn that amp up over that limit, nor do you adjust your equalizer or bass/treble settings into the positive. Always go negative when tuned like this as you will push the amp into distortion. Distortion kills speakers.

This allows a starting point, especially in a multi-channel amp setting, for tuning, After you get the max gain settings for the amps, then you adjust the amps for proper balance, finally you adjust the equalizer settings to meet your tatses, again, ensuring that at no time do you ever turn the gains above the max marks, nor set the EQ into the positive. If you need more than 0dB on a particular frequency, you turn the rest down a hair.

The EQ on the Rio is an amazing thing. It can either function as a

2-channel (R/L) 10-band EQ or a 4-channel (F/R, R/L) 5-band EQ. Each band is selectable, so there's no being locked in to any given frequency. It works out great for a subwoofer system and a 4-channel setup. You can use the gains of the 4-channel to set the fading and drive all of them from the front signal, and then run the rear signal to the subs only. Then, you can set the bottom 4 of the 5 frequencies to sub-bass and bass frequencies (starting at 20Hz I think), and fine-tune the bass signal to the subs. Set the last one just above the crossover threshold and turn it all the way down to have the head unit help the crosover by blocking even more high-end frequencies.

With this setup, I don't need any external crossovers or equalizers, just the crossovers built into the amps.

I won't be able to turn all of the amps all the way up, but it will *never* distort no matter how loud I want to play it. The weakest link will be the subs. The sound will be crystal clear because I'm not overdriving any of the amps, nothing's working very hard (except the subs) to play the music at any volume I choose.

I don't mind the useless trunk... that's what I have other vehicles for. My friend will lend me his F-250 if I ever need to haul something. I'm surprised he hasn't given me keys to it. This is the same guy that won't let anyone other than his wife or me drive his stuff, so I feel kinda priveleged.

As for cutting the boards, my dad has a radial arm saw that I could probably borrow. Doesn't get any straighter of a cut than something on a fixed track. ;-) I'm still not sure if I'm ready to tackle the project.

Thanks for the encouragement, I'm still trying to get the nerve up to try it.

Heh... everyone needs more time to do stuff. I just make time for the important things in life though. I might be busy doing this or that, but if my girl calls from school and wants me to make the half hour trip down to see her for an hour or two, I drop everything that I'm doing.

I dunno. I have a perfectionist syndrome. Some things I can do and I'm unconcerned as to what it looks like. Some things need to be perfect, so I change this, redo that, until I totally destroy whatever it was I was trying to do in the first place.

I taught myself microcontroller programming and system design... lol. I am a geek. ;-)

I'm really hesistant to drill holes in the car. Things rust here. The last thing I need is a point of entry. ;-) I'll look into some things though and see what I can come up with.

Agreed. I'm not sure if it's true or not, but it sounds good... lol. :-)

Isn't that the truth... *sigh*.

Thanks again. Maybe I'll take another look at it today. I have some house projects that I'm thinking about for today though. Who knows.

JS

Reply to
JS

Yeah, there are some issues with the heads on those cars. That and they won't have the 10th anniversary seats in them. I love the 10th anniv. cars, but the seats don't have the suede leather middles in them, and I'll slide right out just like I do on my '97 seats in a hard corner. I'm definately hopng the side project is lucrative, but every one in here is gonna hate me if it ever goes big. ;-) It's a rice-only item.

Those three (and my '01 Kawasaki Ninja) are registered, inspected (as of tomorrow) and insured, yes. The Probe and the Ninja are getting inspected tomorrow. The rest of mine are not registered.

Me too. I couldn't park two cars in my yard if I could even get them in there. I do have a two car garage out back that's all beat up and ugly, it's housing a 1987 4-cylinder auto notchback parts car.

Yeah, he has enough parts to make a really sweet one... it's just a matter of actually *doing* it.

This is true to an extent, if you have the time to do so. We have so many car projects to go on right now it's not even funny, and we're still trying to sort out who's getting what car and who's paying for what. It's like a big parts consortium up there... if it's around, it's free game. 351W Fox-body headers, a complete Trick Flow Track Heat intake w/ 70MM TB + EGR spacer, two sets of 19lb injectors, two sets of fuel rails, plus a ton of stock equipment. I have Saleen Fox body subframe connectors and Global West SN-95 subframe connectors in my room. We just have a ton of stuff that needs to be bolted/welded to *something*.

Happens so easily, doesn't it? :-) I never know which one to drive, they're all good at something. Even the Probe. I don't get many looks, but I can outhandle my Cobra in it and hang with your car in a straight line.

Hehe... yeah, I can imagine. You can always post to see if you can get ahold of one. I was just glad to get a new-in-the-box one.

The other option is to build a PC to function in your car. I did that at one point, rather crudely, but it did function. It wouldn't have as good of preamp output stages nor the real sweet equalizer, but you could probably make a really nice unit if you spent some time. Wireless networking means it never has to come out of the trunk, just get it close enough to the home airport to transfer the files.

The average consumer didn't want to pay that price. It was also a European thing... I ordered a spare docking sled and had to pay in British pounds. I still to this day never did figure out exactly what it cost. ;-)

You could buy a head unit with a DVD player in it and then interface the output of the Rio to the LCD if it has a video input. There are people who have put an app on their Rio to make it display playlist information to a TV monitor already, so I don't see why they couldn't output to the LCD.

Not to mention temperature warnings, button reprogramming, and a really cheezy game of breakout, though it does make a pretty good conversation piece when you pull up to a long redlight and start playing breakout on your stereo. ;-)

If you're ever in the area, let me know. If it's warm, I'll let you get snake-bitten. ;-)

It is kinda showy, but typically I do things just for myself anyway. I don't care what the general public thinks. Not that I don't care what anyone thinks... friends/family are important, but I don't care if the average Joe on the street thinks my system sucks because the license plate is rattling. :-)

My seat didn't vibrate either. It was your entire body, chest, and head that vibrated. That car was just set up really good and I had people with

4-12's in a pickup bed jealous because they couldn't hit as hard.

The wing, however, was a comfortable seat. When the bass kicked in though, it was like a massage chair (or a cheap thrill to some)... lol.

No, but there is a car dealership that closed down in our area, I wanted to buy and make a performance shop. Don't have the cash nor the time at the moment, but it already has big garages, lifts, and a big picture window from which to sell stuff. ;-)

You can oscilloscope-tune any system. The Rio just makes it so that I don't have to create a CD just with sample waves on it. It's a preferred method of professional tuners. Distortion is bad and kills speakers and ears.

Thanks. :-) Geeky kids like me run the world, ya know. ;-)

With needing three amps, the last thing I need is *more* componentry. I may opt for an active crossover though to help out with the 4-channel amps, but I'm not sure yet.

heh... sign me up when you find one please. :-)

I have keys to his '83 GLX-turned-GT car. I can just go to his place and take it. He prefers me to tell him first though. Much the same, I trust him to drive my stuff wherever. That made him fall in love with my notchback though.

I have a local Sears. I just need to get the stuff and the motivation, and the time, and......

Right now I have so many projects that waking up in the morning is looking daunting now.

Yeah, I know, but I haven't seen her since Wednesday since she's been going through orientation at college, so I've not had a lot of motivation. It's hard to go from seeing someone every day and spending all of your time together doing things (even just every day things) and then not seeing them or even hearing from them much in a week. I talk to her for probably 10 minutes a day, broken up between 3 minute phone or internet conversations. It's rough. Makes wanting to do anything really hard right now.

Sometimes, yes it does. I have that English affliction too. I've caught typos in medical forms (for a large chain hospital around here), political campaign ads, etc. It just irks me. The first time I ever talked to my girl online she sent me her English term paper to proofread with even asking. I'd known her for two days. I guess it's easy to tell?

Gee, thanks. ;-) Like I said, we run the world. Geeky kids like me made all these fancy electronic gizmos we take for granted today, like, say, the transistor.. the basis behind every piece of electronics today. :-)

It may be a while, but I'm tired of all of this equipment sitting around. The only reason I didn't put it in a car a long time ago was because the subs are hooked up in my house to my computer, so they are of some use.

;-) Can't lie and say it's going to work... but it does sound good.

Ahh... time sucks. :-P

Anyway, I have to go do some minor home repairs and eat. Doubt I'll look at the car today. *sigh*

JS

Reply to
JS

"C. Olofsson" wrote

And my stereo system sounds like shit above | volume level 15 'cause the bass rattles the trunk something terrible. :-(

Check your license plate on the deck lid. Mine used to rattle like crazy.

Kate

> [...]

| > > For some reason that's not much consolation. :o) | >

| > Heh, was just tryin to cheer you up.. :-) | | I know. And I DO love my car! Every time I drive it I have a smile on my | face, but I can't help but think that smile would be even bigger sitting | inside a Cobra. ;-) | >

| > > Yes, only a few, though. I have more to scan in and upload. This is the | > > address for my crappy lil' ol' GTS: | > >

| > Thanks. I'm trying to get an idea of how I want to go about putting a | > system in my Cobra. I have the following pieces lying around.... | >

| > RioCar MP3 head unit - in-dash MP3 player w/ 10GB hard drive, upgradeable. | > Requires outboard amps but has some excellent pre-amp circuitry and the | best | > equalizer I've ever seen on a h.u. | | Never heard of it. Where did you buy it? Price? | | Also allows for an input, and with there | > being two DIN slots in these cars, I could put an AM/FM/CD player in one | and | > patch it through the Rio, as the Rio also does not come with a tuner. Not | > like you need one with 1800+ songs on a 10GB drive, but... ya know. | | Still nice to have. :-) | | It's in | > the car now through the tape deck adapter which sucks. | >

| > 2 MTX 4-ohm 12" subs currently living in a dual hatch box and being | powered | > by a Clarion 300W subwoofer amp. It's actually currently hooked up to my | > computer and home stereo system. | | How do the MTX's sound? Hit pretty hard? | >

| > 1 MTX 45W 4-channel amplifier | >

| > 1 Kicker 40W 4-channel amplifier | >

| > 1 Kicker 40W 2-channel amplifier | >

| > All of the wiring accessories and tools needed - inline fuses, | distribution | > blocks, etc. | >

| > With all of this equipment just lying around not being used, I'd really | like | > to put it in something. | | Hell yea! Waiting is the hardest part. I waited almost a year to gather all | my equipment before installation. It's torture. | | I have the Mach 460 so I'll probably need both | > 4-channel amps to power all of the speakers that I'll have to replace, | along | > with the sub amp. | | Can't you bypass that? Or do you not want to for some reason? | | I'm great with wiring and tuning, I suck at the actual | > physical installation. | | That is difficult. I didn't know a darn thing about the amprack and | subwoofer enclosure construction, but it turned out okay. | | I don't want to do something that'll permanently | > scar my Cobra, but I want something that securely holds the equipment in | > place and looks good. The sub box will not fit in the trunk of the Cobra, | > so I'll need a new one of those too. | | Try and build your own. It's not THAT hard, and really is fun to do. | >

| > I dunno if I should just bite the bullet and pay a shop to do the install | or | > if I should try to experiment. | | If you have the time and patience, try it yourself. I paid for the amp/sub | install and wanted to pay for amprack/sub box install, but the $350 was | money better spent on something else. | | > How did you hold the amp rack to the car? | | Well, you know the trunk liner? We took that out, cut a board the same size, | and MADE it fit in the trunk. Then we bolted the amps to it towards the rear | of the trunk (against rear seats). The dual 12" enclosure is held in place | with wooden brackets at all four corners. There is nothing, however, | stopping it from jumping up over bumps. It's a crude rack, but effective. | There is one concern I have with it, and that is it isn't secured to the | body of the car. The rack won't budge. But I thought the sub box should be | bolted to the body of the car. Doesn't that supposedly make for better | sound? | | Cindy | '96 laser red auto GTS |

| | |

Reply to
SVTKate

There are fotos here, but they are pretty old:

mort

Reply to
Mort Guffman

Very nice looking. What known problems or potential problems does it have? Mileage? Interior condition? etc. any details you can give me. I'm interested in it. I should have a fairly large sum of money saved up by January 2004.. and I'll remain interested as long as it doesn't have too many miles then.

-Mike

Reply to
memsetpc

Wow. I probably wasted three hours of my life jumping from links I got from that page. I ended up watching animations that some kid from MIT wrote.

*sigh*

Entertaining though. ;-) Nice Cobra too.

JS

Reply to
JS

LOL!

-Mike

message

Reply to
memsetpc

Oh that rattles, too. Not much I can do about it that won't cost SOME money and it's not the biggest offender, anyway. Something inside the decklid is what is driving my nuts OUTSIDE the car. INSIDE the car there is something in the rear dash that makes a VERY strange and STUPID noise.

Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS

C. Olofsson

Double sided foam tape on the back of the license plate would probably cure that rattle.

Check the spoiler, and even the glass. I had something that the quarter window (Fox I believe) rattled like hell...

As for the rear dash, I don't know....

JS

Reply to
JS

Won't that be a pain to remove once it's on there? Not sure I want to do that. LOL!

The spoiler doesn't rattle so much after I put some foam stuff in between the spoiler and deck lid. You may be right about the glass, though. It's coming from that vicinity.

Nor do I. Not even sure I want to deal with that. I'm SERIOUSLY considering selling it and getting a Cobra. *evil grin*

Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS

C. Olofsson

Ok, then single sided foam tape stuck to the back of the license plate, if you're not interested in sticking it to the car. If you don't plan to sell the car, then you probably don't have a need to take the plate off unless you're getting it repainted. Also deters would-be plate thieves. ;-) I can't blame you for wanting to avoid sticking things to the car.

Good luck in your search. It's hard to hear where the rattle is coming from with all the music. If you have your mid and highs amplified, try cutting power (pulling fuses) to the amps that drive them and only drive the subs. That will get rid of some of the background noise and let you focus on the rattles.

considering

Special offers on them now according to what someone in here said. $2500 cash back or low financing. I'm so glad they didn't run that last weekend or I'd have one more bill that I don't need.

It'd sure be fun though. ;-)

JS

Reply to
JS

I like to change the frame occasionally, that's why I don't want to stick stuff to the car. :-)

Good idea, thanks.

Oh, I didn't mean an '03. Good grief I could never afford that right now. :-)

To be brutally honest, I can't even imagine what owning an '03 would be like. *sigh*

Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS

C. Olofsson