Hey CobraJet

Aren't you in the Phoenix area?

I was thinkin' of headin' out there in a couple of weeks to watch some racing (PSCA at Speedworld and NHRA Trials at Firebird) and figured I'd drop you a line.

I've got a couple of questions... (A) Have you been to either of these events and (B) Is there any chance they'll cure my racing jones from the Winter months?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Tom

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. Bright Atlantic Blue K&N FIPK, Tri-Ax, 3.73's, FRPP Coated Shorties, SpeedCal, P&P 2K Heads, 2K Intake, Bassani X-Pipe and Cat-Back, Subframe Connectors, JMS Chip, Eagle Alloy Wheels
bluestang98

Firebird. Heh. I did an AMA/CCS motorcycle event there a long time ago. It was 105F at 9am (I think it was April) on race day, and the track is basically a .75 mile long dragstrip and a return road with lots of low-speed turns in it. You're either top gears wound out or 1st gear trying not to fall over

Ahh the good old days.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

Yes.

Any of the local police departments have my contact info and usual whereabouts nailed to every wall in the precinct.

(A) No, but I had planned to go this year to the Time Trials. Speedworld is a ways from me, but I'd consider it. I haven't been there since it morphed from the old track years ago. (B) Being a warm-climate serpent, I have no idea what a winter racing jones must be like. Proceed at your own risk.

There are several people in here and in the Big Block group from the area. If you want to organize a team of ruthless Ford-owning scoundrels to descend upon these tracks, go for it. I'll join in. Where are you coming from?

Post links to the event info.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

Thought so.

Somehow I don't find that surprising.

Well, basically it sucks. End of story.

Hey, there's a good idea! I'd be flying in on a freebie ticket from OKC on Southwest Airlines courtesy of my former life as road warrior. I still haven't decided to go but will solidify my plans soon.

The info link is dead at the moment butbasically it's Feb. 5, 6, 7 at Speedworld.
Feb. 7 and 8. If I do go out there I'm thinkin' about spending a day at each event. I'm hoping that John Mihovetz will have his 4.6 ltr., 32V, twin-turbo,

6 sec., 200 mph Cougar at Speedworld.
There should be all classes running at the NHRA trials. I went to the Pro Stock Superbowl in Houston last year which always falls on the same weekend as the AZ event and had a blast, just looking for something a little different this time around.

I'll keep ya posted.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Tom

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. Bright Atlantic Blue K&N FIPK, Tri-Ax, 3.73's, FRPP Coated Shorties, SpeedCal, P&P 2K Heads, 2K Intake, Bassani X-Pipe and Cat-Back, Subframe Connectors, JMS Chip, Eagle Alloy Wheels
bluestang98

Does that mean you own a black Aussie XB Falcon?

It "appears" that the best day might be Sunday for this.

I was jazzed last night about entering my newly aquired 8-second '64 Fairlane 500 wagon with its all-alloy stroked 427 High Riser. But then I woke up this morning and remembered that it would be lucky to coax

20-second ET's out of its 172k-mile 289. Reality bites. It bites hard.

I posted a bunch of pics I took at Firebird last November in the drag-racing group, but it appears nobody here took a look. I thought this was announced as a Probe, but what the hell. They both ran high

6's:

There is also a pic of me next to this one, so you can recognize me when you get in.

This is the warmup for the points meet next month.

OK.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

---- snip ----

Yeah, kinda what I was thinkin' too. Saturday at Firebird, Sunday at Speedworld.

---- snip ----

Yep, the yellow rocket is a Cougar. It used to be a Mustang but Mihovetz had it re-panelled into a Cougar so he could run in the now-defunct Pro V8 class of the NHRA import series. I think Probe Industries is one of his sponsors, maybe that's where you heard the Probe part. Anyway, I just got an email back from Accufab and he is not going to make this event unfortuately. Do remember whose Stang he's racing in that shot?

Which is another event I've yet to attend, my schedule never quite seems to fit for that one. I will be going to the national event in Vegas in April, that's a regular stop on the BlueStang tour, lol.

The PS Superbowl was a blast. A real laid-back affair with a bunch of NHRA PS cars, some PS bikes, Outlaw ProMods and such. I highly recommend it for anyone in the Houston area that weekend.

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. Bright Atlantic Blue K&N FIPK, Tri-Ax, 3.73's, FRPP Coated Shorties, SpeedCal, P&P 2K Heads, 2K Intake, Bassani X-Pipe and Cat-Back, Subframe Connectors, JMS Chip, Eagle Alloy Wheels
bluestang98

No wonder it's defunct. You can't have V8 and import in the same sentence. And since when is a Cougar an import?

Could be. The wind chill temp was in the high 50's, and none of my senses were working correctly.

Nope. To be honest, and don't take this personally, I don't pay much attention to cars built after '73 or so, or anything with EFI, nitrous, or electronics. Stock Eliminator, Super Stock, and Nostalgia classes are my thing.

What are you, a drag groupie? :)

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet