Re: 97 GT rims fit on a 60's Mustang?

97 GT rims fit on a 60's Mustang?

The bolt circle is the same. Here are clearance issues I encountered when I tried to fit my '97 GT 17" to my maverick just to see if they fit. On the rear, the wheel was up against the leaf spring before it was fully seated on the wheel studs. In the front I was actually able to get the wheel on, but it was on drivable. It would have rubed severely in turns and the inside of the rim and the top arm rubed the inside of the rim.

I would expect similiar problems on an early mustang, especially a '68 or earlier. That said I did see a '69 on the road with what looked like '96 GT 17" wheels on it one day. Now of course that doesn't mean much because I have no idea of what kind of mods were done to that car.

The more narrow 16" GT wheels may have a chance of fitting. I think the 6cylinder's 15 inchers would have the greatest chance.

Reply to
Brent P

Mustang_66

I was only checking for the hell of it. But spacers would make the wheels stick out from the body and they would contact the body work through the suspension travel.

Reply to
Brent P

I belive Kar Kraft makes a spacer kit for the early models with late model wheels, and they don't stick out. The late model wheels are almost as bad as a front wheel drive for offset which makes them set to far in without a spacer. The spacers should bring them back out to a normal location.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG