High-torque Starter Problems! HELP!!!

I own a 1967 Shelby GT 500.. or rather, my father does. The starter was starting to go on her, so we went out and got one of those high-torque mini-starters. It's a Napa (I think it's called a Power Supreme). We needed one because the motor in her, a 351 Cleveland my father built, has very high compression - 12:1. We got home, slapped in the new starter, turned the key... and nothing, only a "clicking" from the solenoid on the firewall next to the battery every time we turned the key. We figured the solenoid must have been bad, so we get a new solenoid, slappped THAT in, turned the key.. and STILL nothing. Just that "clicking" from the solenoid every time the key was turned. As far as wiring goes, there's only one. It connects to the top copper connector on the starter and to the solenoid. One of my dad's friends told him he had to run a wire from the positive terminal on the firewall solenoid to the non-copper connector on the starter. Tried that.. no dice. Just that clicking from the solenoid. No sound from the starter itself AT ALL. Checked the battery and the wires. Everything seems good. We're really out of ideas. Again, this is a 1967 Shelby GT 500, with a 351 Cleveland motor, and a C6

3-speed Automatic tranny. Can ANYONE help us??
Reply to
GoAwAy669

I would check the ground strap from the engine to the frame first, then try another battery, after that, I would dump the "napa" starter and find yourself a starter from a reputable company, quality comes at a larger expense than your local NAPA store. Same goes for the starter solenoid (one out of every ten fresh out of the box are bad these days), then the voltage regulator. 12:1 is going to be awful hard to run on the street. hope he plans to spend most of his hard earned funds on 100+ octane fuel (roughly $5.00/gallon here in NJ)................

So with that said, how about the serial number and full door data plate information on the car so we can get the SAAC registry updated.....How long has he owned the car??? When did he purchase it???? Details are very important to the next SAAC registry.............Feel free to email them to me if you do not want to post them here.............

Yours in Fords,

Bill S.

GoAwAy669 wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

I just put a high torque mini in my 67 302. As far as wiring i'm not familiar with the starter you have, but on mine i put a #10 wire from the large solenoid post to the small solenoid post on the starter. That way, it operates just like the standard Ford starter.

The instructions normally want you to run the battery lead from the hot side of the solenoid on the fender, but i didn't like the idea of the hot lead running to the starter.

It may not have been the starter starting to go, it could have been the battery or the solenoid on the fender.

To check the starter, pull it out, put jumper cables on it ( + to big post, - to housing) then short between the big post and small post to make sure the starter spins.

Just try> I own a 1967 Shelby GT 500.. or rather, my father does.

Reply to
JF

Reply to
daniel legare