Forged pistons

How hard would it be to get forged pistons in my 98 GT? What are some things that I'd also need to change in doing this? Thanks.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Just browsing SummitRacing.com for forged pistons I ran into these... I don't understand a whole lot of what this means, but...

example: TRW-L2249NF60 Ford: 289/302, .060 in. overbore, 2.87/3.00 in. stroke, 5.155 in. connecting rod, .440 in. dome, forged, pisto... 5-8 $52.39

$52.39 per piston? Is this the normal price of a forged piston? Or is this just cheap crap?

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Reply to
KJ94GT

Oops, I'm sorry. It's

KJ

Reply to
KJ94GT

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

TRW? I want forged pistons (and apparently rods too) so I can add a blower w/ higher boost numbers.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

FWIW , every mustang 5.0 from 86-92 had TRW forged pistons built to ford specs! the only other small block ford engines that had forged pistons are carbed

85 H.O's,Boss 302's & Boss 351's
Reply to
winze

What is "TRW"?

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

TRW is the name of a company that makes pistons. Have no idea what it stands for tho.

Jason S.

Reply to
Jason S

they make parts and are into alot of everything else too. I have no clue what the letters TRW mean, if anything.

Reply to
winze

How's the quality?

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

I'd say trw's are good, but with pistons you pretty much get what you pay for from rebuilder cast, then hypereutetic cast, then forged, then custom forged by different manufacturers like sivolite,badger,trw,speedpro,manley,ross,arias,wiseco,keith black, etc. etc. you'll most likely be fine with something "middle of the road"

Reply to
winze

Well I'm in no hurry to beef up the engine... I have about $4k stashed away right now, but I don't plan on doing anything for another year probably... giving myself adequate time to learn more before I go throw my money at a failed project.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Mike, on the heels of my other post to you, $4k will get you the blower and that's about it, especially if you're having someone else do the work. Talk to some reputable engine builders and see what they can do for X amount of money.

To give you a ballpark idea, check out places like Steeda

- in addition to just components, they have packages with different levels of performance. Call them and just bs with them for a few minutes - you might pick up a few tips and get a better idea of what you can do for a given price.

wrote in news:m4oic.21335$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com:

Reply to
Joe

Joe,

Yeah.. I have $4k right now & I realize that's about a blower only... but I don't plan on making a move on anyuthing until next year & I'll have more saved up. I'm just wondering what I need to do to make my car blower friendly. I've heard of late-model GT's running high boost numbers & getting some wicked HP/TQ numbers... no forged pistons.. but low miles. I don't know how long their cars will last... but I want mine to last a logn time.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

If you want the longevity and dependability along with a 12-14 psi blower, you'll probably have to spend at least $15k all told (rough guestimate). Bolting the blower on is one thing, but making the car reliable and long-lasting is another. Like we were saying earlier, everything's a tradeoff. Unless you can upgrade everything altogether, you're going to have a weak link somewhere that will be the liability.

wrote in news:zYxic.21411$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com:

Reply to
Joe

TRW is the acronymn (do you know what that means??? - it's not really a big word) for the names of the founders of a LARGE aerospace company which has a SIGNIFICANT auto industry branch. Why not put TRW into Google or Yahoo instead of showing how GALACTICALLY ignorant you are? You probably complain about jobs going offshore - but if you represent what American employers have to choose from - no wonder they're disgusted with the incredible mental laziness of today's folks (except for those who will always be hired or working.) Do you walk into banks and give them money for nothing? - That's another way to be stupid. Wake up and become more self-reliant and do a little of your own research vs. showing everyboby how uninformed you are. Wow!!!

Reply to
Brian from Home

Somebody denied you some sex it seems! Wowowow you are a HUGE asshole.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

If you got 4K just laying around why not just punch the engine out to a 347?

Reply to
Ironrod

Dude,it's a 4.6 in a 98 mustang, no way possible to make it a 347!

Reply to
winze