Inner Tierod R&R ??

I recently installed a manual steering Rack and Pinion into my 89 5.0 LX Vert. The donor rack came out of a 78 Fairmount.

Anyways, I need to replace the inner Tierods.

Can someone explain the procedure on how to R&R the inner tierods on this rack ??

Thank you,

ERIC

Reply to
Katmandu

It's been a quite a few years since I did one but IIRC you pull the boot back and simply undo them from the rack ( turn the wheels so that the rack protrudes for easy access). There should be a split pin that locks them in and once again IIRC we used to just turn the inner tie rod which broke the old one and we simply removed the busted pieces installed a new one with the new inner. There is a special tool for the tie rod apparently but I just used a "special" pipe wrench ;^)! StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Keep in mind that new tie rods run about 30 a piece. You can get a whole new rack for $89.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

Roger that Don. I picked up both inner tierods for $32/pair at AutoZone (I hope they are the correct ones!).

Where can one buy a NEW manual rack for $89 ???

-ERIC

Reply to
Katmandu

Replacing them is a pain in the neck. You need a special tool, which can usually be borrowed from AZ or PB. The new parts will cost you about $60-70. It's much easier to do on the bench, so plan on R&R of the whole rack. A whole new rack with both inner tie rod ends will cost you about $80-90, and only takes about an hour to swap out. It's well worth it to just replace the whole thing.

Reply to
.boB

I bought one at Pep Boys. I think with a discount...it was had for $89. The most expensive part is the core charge.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

Where can someone buy a manual rack for $80-90 ???

Reply to
Katmandu

I got mine at Pep Boys. I didn't have to pay for the core charge though, which was $300.00

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper