Mach 1 vs '99/ '01 Cobras

Out there on the net it appears the 5-speed Mach 1s are good for at least 103 mph in the quarter, and with a good driver 105-106 mph is the norm. Are stock '99 and '01 Cobras putting up those same kinds of numbers? Or are the Mach 1s a little stronger than the older Cobras'

320 hp rating?

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
Patrick

Michael Johnson, PE

I'll add another reason, in addition to those. :) IIRC the '99-'01 Cobra came with the same 3.27 gearing as the GT. The Mach is delivered with 3.55s. __ John C. '03 Cobra Convt.

Reply to
John C.

Good point. Although it won't add much by itself, when all the little things are considered the Mach is probably on top.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

A number of people on the Mach 1 Registry who have dynoed them report the rear wheel output to be in the range of 280-290 hp (320-330 flywheel) and 305-310 ft-lb (340-345 flywheel) of torque at their peaks. Of course, numbers vary, but the gearing and the improved mid-range torque output make for a fairly swift car.

They are a blast to drive!

T>Out there on the net it appears the 5-speed Mach 1s are good for at

Reply to
Tony Alonso

I'll bet!

If or when I decide to buy a newer Mustang, a Mach 1 will be at the top of my list. Had any interesting stoplight encounters?

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

A few challengers but I have declined them...keeping the points count on the license down! April Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords magazine has a nice article on the Mach 1 as it goes up against the GT and Cobra models. As a companion, there is a video for sale of their testing.

By the way, I love the '93 Cobras...a great Fox Mustang!

Patrick wrote:

Reply to
Tony Alonso

The Mach's are a little stronger for straight line performance. They have more torque and the solid axle has less parasitic loss than the IRS. I'm not being biased - I have an 01 Cobra.

Reply to
bartman01