Mach 460 System question

I am looking into replacing my stereo, and I currently have the Mach

460. Are the speakers that are in the car now "strong" enough to handle a powerful system, or need I buy new speakers also?

What is the most powerful system you would suggest for what the current speakers can handle.

The Billy

Reply to
True Hockey Historian

If you can't afford to swap the entire system and have to get on ecomponent at a time, I would replace the speakers first. You'll get the biggest increase in sound quality, IMHO, by doing that first. Big difference between paper cones which can dry out and become brittle, and the high quality polypropylene cones. More accurate and last A LOT longer.

If you have the money to do the whole system at once, then go for it. Look around though before buying. There are usually some decent wholesale dealers in the bigger cities that will sell to private buyers. That's how I've built my last 3 systems. I can usually get 25-30% cheaper that way and still get high quality equipment.

Scott W. '66 HCS

Reply to
Scott Williams

Problem is this... according to Crutchfield, the speakers can't be changed unless you get new amp(s) to drive them. Some kind of proprietary connection or signal???

Reply to
Keith

If I were you, I would just save my money until I could replace the whole system. Get a new head unit, amps, and speakers. That is the only way you will be satisified. Believe me, I just finished replacing my Mach 460 system last week. What a pain, but the end result is very satisfying. I'm not going to win any contests with my system, but now I can hear my music while I drive with the top down.

Brian

Reply to
B&C H.

I would guess that the impedance rating of the speakers are the problem. They are probably rated at 8 Ohms and nearly all of the replacements are 4 ohm which would overload the amp. John

Reply to
jriegle

I forgot the Mach 460 has a dedicated amp for each speaker. Kinda like the Infinity systems in Mopars. Yeesh. I'd just save up to do the whole thing at one time. Piecing it out will be near impossible to get to work together. They make adapters for an aftermarket stereo to hook up to the Mach460 system, but why would you want to. It only compromises the quality of the deck.

Scott W. '66 HCS

Reply to
Scott Williams

Not necessarily. It would just mean the amp would push twice the power to those speakers. Depending on what the distortion level coming out of the amp is, he might be OK, as long as he doesn't crank it. Then the distortion would either destroy the drivers or the amp would overheat and fry itself. And it would clip like hell before it did that.

Scott W. '66 HCS

Reply to
Scott Williams