mini starter on a 89 5.0 GT

Im need to replace my starter. First Im gonna remove it to find out which one I have NAPA said theres 2 different tooth count models. One is $100 to replace. I figure if its that much might as well get a high torq mini starter for $170.

Does any one know how easy it is to install a high torq ministarter on an 89 5.0 ? When I put one on my 69 351W had to reroute some wiring different from stock setup. Is it the same for late models or as easy as hooking up a stock starter?

Thanks,

Reply to
faust_151

Also, im still trying to get the old starter out. Am I crazy or do I have to drop my entire exhaust just to get at the top starter mounting bolt?? My car is totally stock.

Thanks,

Reply to
faust_151

So what did you use? theres no room to turn a ratched or a wrench on that top bolt.

Reply to
faust_151

Had an 89 5.0, 5 speed. The starter came out without removing any exhaust parts.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

On my 85 GT I had to get a LONG extension and run it through part of the K-Member if I remember correctly. If it wasn't the K-member, it was some other large suspension part close to the front right wheel. I ended up doing the starter 3 times in a year and once you do it a couple of times it isn't bad.

Reply to
EBGB

yeah i noticed it might be possible to get a mega extension over the rack n pinion steering all the way back to the starter bolt. i guess its another trip to the tool store then.

thanks,

EBGB wrote:

Reply to
faust_151

if anyone cares I was able to get at the top bolt with about 1.5' rachet extention and a swivel socket thru the shock tower.

after I figured that out it was a snap. the ford racing mini starter install was a piece of cake. and it works great.

let me reply for you, "no one cares!" HA.

faust snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
faust_151